Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

World's easiest 5.3 swap--Dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vents
What have you guys done if anything to retain the use of the CCD system that controls the airbag system?
Thatd be a question id be interested in too but seeing as mine doesnt have air bags im not sure it matters for me haha
Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

The factory PCM, along with all the Air Bag components are still in place. I haven't studied too much on it's operation. Am I correct in assuming without any engine input, the system will still operate correctly since the vehicle has the functioning VSS in the differential?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airbags run through the PCM? People interested in keeping the factory gauges. I'm wondering if you couldn't keep the Dodge PCM as well and send the signals from the GM to the Dodge and then out into the stock cluster?

So my 98 automatic Dakota has the tone ring in the rear differetial(like every newer Dakota or Durango I've seen). The speedometer wasn't working, when I looked up the sensor the only speed sensor I found was the one in the rear diff, so I replaced it and my speedometer was working again.......this is contrary to what everyone is saying about the sensor in the tranny.

Last edited by 91sonomast; 07-05-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
The airbags run through the PCM? People interested in keeping the factory gauges. I'm wondering if you couldn't keep the Dodge PCM as well and send the signals from the GM to the Dodge and then out into the stock cluster?

So my 98 automatic Dakota has the tone ring in the rear differetial(like every newer Dakota or Durango I've seen). The speedometer wasn't working, when I looked up the sensor the only speed sensor I found was the one in the rear diff, so I replaced it and my speedometer was working again.......this is contrary to what everyone is saying about the sensor in the tranny.
The airbags run through the air bag module, not the PCM, I kept the PCM for the gauges. sorry for not being clear.

Like I said on the other site, I will check Alldata when I get off and confirm one way or the other. I just took it was fact, and never verified since mine was a manual to start with.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Launching!

That almost looks too easy. I have a 2000 Dakota with a locked up 4.7L that is set to get scrapped and this give me ideas haha
Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by btlegacy
That almost looks too easy. I have a 2000 Dakota with a locked up 4.7L that is set to get scrapped and this give me ideas haha
Do it!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

The signal for the CCD system on my 97 Dakota runs to the PCM, Cluster, BCM, and Airbag control module as well. Not sure about the newer ones with the PCI BUS systems. I'm not opposed to wiring the system to use the old style crush sensors, and pull my airbags to run a test light on them to validate the system. Ive not been able to figure out what else needs done to make them work. I was always under the impression that the PCM would inform the airbag module to blow the squibs in the airbags when the VSS signal puls dropped a certain amount in xx milliseconds. I don't know how else the system would work.

Last edited by Vents; 07-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Other good swap info for 6speed guys, the QD system for the hydraulic clutch system is the same as the LSX quick disconnects. And FWIW, the C5 corvette clutch master cylinder is a direct bolt in swap for the manual transmission trucks. I actually have a mcloed C5 adjustable unit in mine. Also the dodge rack and pinion uses the same o-ring style fittings that come on the Chevrolet ps pumps, so no custom hoses are needed. With custom mounts, I was able to get the drivers side f-body long tube header to clear with no modification, but the pass side is up to you. I made my own passenger header from 2 sets of eBay ss headers.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Other good swap info for 6speed guys, the QD system for the hydraulic clutch system is the same as the LSX quick disconnects. And FWIW, the C5 corvette clutch master cylinder is a direct bolt in swap for the manual transmission trucks. I actually have a mcloed C5 adjustable unit in mine. Also the dodge rack and pinion uses the same o-ring style fittings that come on the Chevrolet ps pumps, so no custom hoses are needed. With custom mounts, I was able to get the drivers side f-body long tube header to clear with no modification, but the pass side is up to you. I made my own passenger header from 2 sets of eBay ss headers.
The 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9 pumps are GM pumps.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

I noticed the hydraulic system looked exactly like that of the one on my lt1/t56 formula. Glad to know a stock unmodded header will fit the driver side. Any pics on your build you could pm me?

Last edited by Verz; 03-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Anything in particular? I don't mind posting a few shots.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Anything in particular? I don't mind posting a few shots.
Anything you are willing to share, engine mounts would be good, maybe exhaust clearance if you have any.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Launching!

hey vents.. not sure if i missed it, is you're swap fuel injected? how are you liking the dakota lsx swap vs say an s10? i like the dakota vs the s10 for both looks and b/c i believe you have to either hack on an s10 or spend $$$$$ on custom parts for the lack of room, as where a dakota you can get away with using a lot more factory parts to make it work and look more factory like. This is my thinking anyway.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jsmith564
hey vents.. not sure if i missed it, is you're swap fuel injected? how are you liking the dakota lsx swap vs say an s10? i like the dakota vs the s10 for both looks and b/c i believe you have to either hack on an s10 or spend $$$$$ on custom parts for the lack of room, as where a dakota you can get away with using a lot more factory parts to make it work and look more factory like. This is my thinking anyway.
Yessir, for me EFI is the only way to fly. I've never been around anyone who had an LSX s-10 swap, but ive seen a few SBC swaps in s-10's. Not too familiar with them to be honest. With the Dakota swap you can use a lot of factory parts but that comes at the cost of a lot of custom fab work. I dont know if that is all that much different than an s-10.

For me, I had the truck, and had a bunch of LSX stuff lying around as leftovers from my old camaro. For me, this was a very daunting task, as it was not a bolt in swap. I had to fabricate the motor mounts, trans mount (some here have made their stock one work) shifter setup, hydroboost bracket/spacer, headers, fabricate the new auto-meter cluster, and re-wire the whole truck. It took me about 2 years to do it the way i wanted it counting re-building the front end, and scratch built fuel system. (yes, that's right, I said two years) nights and weekends when I wasn't busy otherwise. I wasnt in a hurry, and all said and done, the wiring was the most daunting task, so once i had finished that, I tore into the rest of the truck. I think it's about the stupidest thing I've ever done, but I really enjoy it now, especially because it was my uncle's truck who left it to me when he died.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Launching!

i hear you vents. i had swapped a 93 s10 over to a first gen small block. I pulled the rad support to recess the rad to clear the electric fan and water pump pulley. I didn't like how it turned out. it looked good, just didn't like how tight it was.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

I've tried uploading the photo's I have 2 times now with no success. Anyone who wants to host them, pm me your e-mail and I'll shoot them your way.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Don't feel bad. I've passed the two year mark myself, and I'm not done yet. But, that also includes all new front suspension, complete new fuel system (cell etc), the SBC swap, painted and detailed the frame etc. I hope to be done next summer.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Vents' Badass build

Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Launching!

awwww now that give me wood.

thats good stuff.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree