Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 to ls3

Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 to ls3

i have recently acquired an ls3 and want to swap into my ls1 camaro. my questions are wire harness can i modify the exsisting ls1 harness. can i use my ls1 accessories and my exhaust.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Yes an Yes.. You will need to run the map sensor and cam sensor wiring to the front and you'll need a convertor for the crank tone wheel reading plus injector adapters. I think thats it but I'm sure someone else will chime in and correct me.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Speed
Yes an Yes.. You will need to run the map sensor and cam sensor wiring to the front and you'll need a convertor for the crank tone wheel reading plus injector adapters. I think thats it but I'm sure someone else will chime in and correct me.
From what I know you covered it, only other thing will be extending the harness for the knock sensors... there's an extension harness out there, but can't recall who sells it.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
From what I know you covered it, only other thing will be extending the harness for the knock sensors... there's an extension harness out there, but can't recall who sells it.
Damn I forgot about the knock sensors lol
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will he have to change the reluctor from 56 to 24 or what ever the numbers are? Maybe get a conversion kit.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can convert from 58 to 24 with a Lingenfelter converter box. Question, are you going to run drive by cable or go with the Drive By Wire on the LS3? Once that is answered, it will be easier to figure out what direction you should go. In short, this has been done plenty of times.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Just want to be clear on something psiconversion, since I thought about an LS3 too. All I would need to do is get a tune, use the throttle cable tb of course, and a LS1 computer will work without any issues?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

I did this a while back and run and LS1 PCM on my turboed LS3. I changed the reluctor wheel on the crank though...

If I remember correctly the LS3 MAP sensor does not read the same as the LS1 so you should use the LS1 sensor.

Also you need to switch to an LS2 timing chain sprocket because the LS3 is 4X and the LS1 computer needs and 2X signal.
Maybe the Lingenfelter box converts both crank and cam signals?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Teching In

im going with a cable throttle body. i guessing the trans isnt an issue i just built the 4l60 in the car and hate to waste the money.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Teching In

just bought the map sensor extension, cam sensor extension, even found the knock sensor kit also. all on ebay planning on just buying the ls3 injector pigtails from work tomarrow and soder them in the extensions look like they will just take up too much room too many plugs too close. and a ton of other goodies cam, dual valve springs. new headers, went on lingenfelter website and cant find the converter box. the wife is going to kill me when she sees the bank statement this month.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Be prepared for the converter box to go out about once a year and give extended crank time occasionally. Personally changed 3 of these. Not under warranty either of the 3 times. I would go ahead and pull the crank out and put a 24x wheel on it. You will have to take it to someone that has the tool to install it. For the price of the box you can probably get it changed to 24x wheel. You will also need to use your old map sensor, and crankshaft sensor. I even built extended harness to locate the box in the car instead of under the hood and still had it to fail.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Also would need ls2 timing gear and cam sensor, if you change to 24x.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Teching In

i work for chevrolet so i bet we have the kent-moore tool to install the wheel. im looking on some previous swap and it looks like i have to change coils since i only got a long block.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if gm makes that tool are not. I have only heard of goodson making that tool.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Racetronix has all the wiring stuff, I lost my map extension so I'm just going to stick it on the rear of my ls3 manifold with some vacuum line. Have yet to read anything good about the lingenfelter box; without doubt swapping the reluctor wheel is the right way to do it. Knock sensors go in the sides after you tap some holes, guessing you probably knew that part though.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody really needs to buy harness extensions, with a little patience... Remove the split loom and electrical tape, pull out the map sensor wires and rout it to the front of the intake. Same applies to the timing sensor on the front cover.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Changing the crank reluctor is another way to go but with the other mechanical mods as detailed above. Lingenfelter did have an issue with the original boxes they were selling, however, it has been revised and is now a potted version that is less susceptable to vibration and heat soak with long leads to mount it away from the engine and ignition system. The box has wiring for the cam sensor and crank sensor so there is no need to change any mechanical items.

For those who had issues with the box, did you use the recent version? Just want to know for my own knowledge. Thanks.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Teching In

thanks guys with the help im on a good path and am acquiring the needed extras and will post the progress of my swap. im hoping to get on the ball here an a few weeks with the actual swap.want all the parts to be there so i can just do a quick swap. im just wondering is there anyone i can send the ecm to that yall reccommend no one close to my home town does this that ive heard of.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

They sent me two different part numbers. I will see if i can find them. Seems like one version had a ground wire and one did not. Neither one of them lasted.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

TRG-001a and TRG-002

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls1 to ls3