Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who sells plain 71 Nova LS conversion header

Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who sells plain 71 Nova LS conversion header

So ive been searching for some headers for my LS1 swap in my 71 Nova and i found tons of them but their all expensive stainless or ceramic coated. Does anyone sell just plain mild steel headers that fit well????

Dont get me wrong if i had the money stainless is the way to go. But i dont. Im looking to just wrap them in some headerwrap and call it a day.

If i can't find any basic headers im looking to go with dynatech or edelbrock. Ive heard good fitment of the edelbrocks but how are the dynatechs??
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default No body!

I was totally in the same boat on the headers! If I had it to spend I would have done the SS edelbrocks, but at $500+ it was not in the bugdet. It is very frustrating that Gen I Nova/Camaro headers can be had brand new for $130, but for an LS its $300 min! Enough whining, here is what I did

After a lot of research I ended up ordering a set of 4th gen F-body SS ebay headers and using a torch, a buddy, several ratchet straps, a 6 pack and a lot of grunting to manipulate them into place. It takes a bit of work and you have to be careful not to kink or burn through the tubes. Obviously the torch also discolors the headers, but that is repairable or if you are going to wrap them anyway it is not a concern. I decided to scotch brite my headers to a nice brushed look. Check out my build thread for pictures.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, and welcome to LS1Tech!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a set of black painted Hookers. http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers...oductId=759993

I'd sell for $400 shipped. Missing the gaskets. I just have them incase I wanted to run my car n/a for a while but I dont think thats going to happen. They have a few scratches from rolling around in the box but overall look good.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Cruisin- yeah i read your thread on your build. Looks pretty good and a very possible option. But how much did you spend on the headers?? It would seem crazy to spend a mint on some SS headers then torch them up and tweak them-IMO.

LSnova-I was only looking to spend around 200-300 bucks for headers. But the search continues to find some plain headers. I dont get why LS conversion headers are sooo much more expensive than SBC.

If i cant find any plain headers, these are the ones i was looking at getting.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-715-11410/

Anyone made their own Stainless headers???

I was considering buying some SS 304 stock tubing and bending up some bends because we have a mandral tube bender at work. The only set back is the time and not having a TIG welder. Besides is it really cost effective???
Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew I had seen your name before, you are also on Steve's right? The Ebay headers are not that much. With tax and shipping mine were $170 I believe. Apply a lot of elbow grease and you have nice SS conversion headers. They even come with gaskets, studs and nuts, ($40 in parts right there!) But mine was missing like 5 studs, so I will have to buy some SS studs No biggy.

They do sell DIY header kits that come with a selection of mandrel bends. All you do it cut, peice together and weld. I thought about this route, but without a welder or welding experience...

The other option is to buy a pair of SBC headers, cut the flanges off, cut and bend the primaries to align with the LS ports and weld LS flanges to the primaries. Several people have gone this route and if you already have a good set of SBC headers, then you are just looking at the cost for LS flanges, $50 maybe?

More food for thought, but I think the SS ebay headers are the best choice. Just my vote.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI.. Edelbrock stop selling Headers.. I was able to get a set just before the stopped shipping them.

Try the Sanderson or Hedman Headers sites.. I think they have un-coated headers for Swapped Nova's.. in the $300 range...

BC
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Dougs sells an uncoated version of their headers.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Check out my thread the ones i used only cost like $300 and would have fit good if i would have not been running the AutoKraft pan. These where built the to use the H3 pan are a pan with out a Big Sump like the AutoKraft but with a little Cut on the the top of the driver side headder and some pulling they worked just fine and then i welded it back up and you can never tell i had to make a small cut. the passanger side fit GREAT.

I used PerTronix a set of Clipsters the price was $300.00 shipped.

Last edited by thenova70ss; 06-26-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
I knew I had seen your name before, you are also on Steve's right? The Ebay headers are not that much. With tax and shipping mine were $170 I believe. Apply a lot of elbow grease and you have nice SS conversion headers. They even come with gaskets, studs and nuts, ($40 in parts right there!) But mine was missing like 5 studs, so I will have to buy some SS studs No biggy.

They do sell DIY header kits that come with a selection of mandrel bends. All you do it cut, peice together and weld. I thought about this route, but without a welder or welding experience...

The other option is to buy a pair of SBC headers, cut the flanges off, cut and bend the primaries to align with the LS ports and weld LS flanges to the primaries. Several people have gone this route and if you already have a good set of SBC headers, then you are just looking at the cost for LS flanges, $50 maybe?

More food for thought, but I think the SS ebay headers are the best choice. Just my vote.
Yeah im on SNS all the time. I looked up those SS headers. Your right that may be the way to go. Just a bit under $200 So did you just bolt them up with out the steering box installed then just tweek them little by little until it cleared?? How long it it take you?? Cus those dynatechs are the cheapest longtubes ive found so far @ $400 with cermic coating.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the 1 7/8 coated LS dynatechs on my 68 on the weekend. They seem to be very high quality. I used the Detroit speed ls motor mount kit as this is what the headers were desinged with and I needed stands, mounts and adapter plates which the Detroit speed kit included all of. I was sold on the dynatech brand after seeing the sbc headers my dad put on his sbc nova.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default New Thread

I just created a new thread detailing the steps I used to bend up the ebay headers. Check it out, hope it helps!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...y-headers.html
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly why I am going to buy a set of plain, uncoated headers. Modifications will be easier. I will get them ceramic coated after I make sure they will fit properly.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't know the fit yet but... I just bought the Dynatech 1 7/8" coated headers for $400....I got sticker shock looking at Kooks and a few others headers and heads shouldn't cost the same amount.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: who sells plain 71 Nova LS conversion header