Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 emissions wiring

Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 emissions wiring

Well since i'm the only one that has to do a emissions legal swap... I am wondering what i need to do to get it done. I am more then willing to keep all the cats, o2 sensors, and evap portion.... I am trying to keep it legal but i don't have the donor car and am wondering what i need for 99 TA 5.7, i have the cats but they don't fit right... the wiring portion of the EVAP and any emission related parts have me confused for my 85 GP swap.. Help!! ANYBODY?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 AM
Launching!

Also, the Buick gn t type fuel tank i have doesn't fit a 99 ls1 fuel pump.. i found this one on racetronix i was hoping to use
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...G7W255&eq=&Tp=
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is another active thread on this forum going on about NJ Inspection. What you may want to do is determine exactly what your state tests for with regards to emissions in conversion vehicles. If they are just doing a tailpipe test to the vehicle standard (eg 85 Monte Carlo, etc), then you probably dont need rear o2 sensors, evap, ccp, etc. Best to check first and then determine what you need. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will also need to wire up the fuel tank equipement, that being the pressure sensor and the Charcoal Canister (and tube to the EVAP valve).

The CATS need to be in or close to OEM Location, both front and rear O2's. EVAP, PCV system, AIR pump and EGR system.

Thats about it for equipement. What is Co. swap or Engine Conversion DMV laws like ?

Good Luck...

BC

BC
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Launching!

I called and what i was told by the state inspector was " all emissions components from the donor vehicle need to be installed and in working condition, My car no longer will be inspected as a 85 Pontiac but as a 99 Firebird. In his words "the engine needs to believe it's in the original car" I already have the cat's which hit the floor board but i know any good muffler shop can modify the pipes and keep them close to stock location. I am looking for the evap and charcoal canister pieces now. I have found 2 Firebird's at my local salvage yards one a 98 & the other a 2000, both with the 3.8 v6.. i'm unsure if they are the same as a 99 5.7 emissions parts?? I also got a air injection system off a member here but not sure how to install it. Is there a separate wiring portion for it? I got wiring diagrams from on demand but thought i would ask the experts as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

I just installed a 4.8 truck motor into an 87 Monte I used the manifolds cats and y pipe with the only clearance issue being the column shift hit the cat pipe. I modified the linkage to clear it though. If the car is to be inspected like a 99 here in PA all the garage would do is hook into the OBD2 port and look for error codes. Usually as long as there arent any you pass. If i stay under 5000 miles a year I am exempt which means no test. Even if they do test mine i think it will be tested as an 87 monte which I am sure the new motor will be cleaner than.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Launching!

i wished it was that easy... I actually have to take my car in to get certified first before taking it to get smogged, and get it smogged every two years as well. My passenger side cat is the on that hits the floorboard. drivers side not too bad but i know the trans linkage will give me issues as well.. You have any pics 66chevelle of how you modified yours?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

There was another thread lately about smog also.. and I stated the same. You car will not be certified as the Donor car ... so it would have to meet your state test for the 99 TA.. and yes.. if needed. be re-certified.

this is basically Calif swap rules.. (which most other states adopt all or some).
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

BC
Old 06-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Launching!

So if it's going to be tested to a 99 TA standards how would i keep it legal? My harness is stock but they cut it off at the firewall.... I have been researching the harness mods but its seems that most are based on a stand alone harness without emissions. The legal swaps i've seen have everything from the donor car incorporated pretty much everything. I just don't want to get certified and look like i cut corners... I figure if i'm going to do it then do it right. So in regards to that what do i need to do to my original harness and or add to it to make my swap legal? I hope to keep my gauges for now. The evap portion and fuel also have me confused lol!! I was hoping to use the Vette filter seeing as my fuel rail has the single inlet. I thought i read somewhere that i could flip the fuel rail from the drivers side to passenger side...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You could always go standalone and add the emissions portion of the harness, might be a little involved though. Off hand you are looking at adding....

1. Rear O2s
2. Fuel Tank/EVAP/Canister Purge
3. EGR.
4. AIR Pump

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Teching In

I will get some pics of the exhaust for ya. I basically took a piece of round bar and made a duplicate of the original linkage piece between the frame and transmission. Then I made the flat bar that connects to the shifter linkage. Tacked it in place and doyuble checked the clearance. The F body cats cleared fine on my car the on issue was the driver side O2 sensor was close to the crossmember so I had to make some room there. I will get you the pics by tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by psiconversion
You could always go standalone and add the emissions portion of the harness, might be a little involved though. Off hand you are looking at adding....

1. Rear O2s
2. Fuel Tank/EVAP/Canister Purge
3. EGR.
4. AIR Pump

Jon
PSI
How would i go about doing that? I have been thinking of that though how is it even possible in regards to proper ecm operation? I thought that if i kept everything in my original harness functional then it shouldn't be that hard to complete the rest... Btw i found out that the A.I.R. system i got is from a 2000 LS1 f body.. You think i can make it work on my 99 LS1?
66chevelle_02SS I appreciate any pics you can give to help me figure out my swap. I want to get it running so BAD!!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

you don't need pictures.. you need a Factory Service manual ... it has wiring, picture and diagram of how everything should be wired up. This is just basically wiring all of the equipement up as required or spec'd out in the OEM Manual and setup.

Yes.. if you keep everything on the original harness you should be good for most of the engine bay parts. Would just need to run some wires for the Tank equipement.

The AIR System should be the same for the 99 - 2002. You should see if you can get a tuner to put a 2001-2002 VIN in the PCM along with a LS6 intake on (01-02 is without EGR port) and that way it would not be require to use a EGR system.

BC
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

If it's any consolation, my swap will (hopefully) be smog legal too, but I punted and went the EROD route.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
you don't need pictures.. you need a Factory Service manual ... it has wiring, picture and diagram of how everything should be wired up. This is just basically wiring all of the equipement up as required or spec'd out in the OEM Manual and setup.

Yes.. if you keep everything on the original harness you should be good for most of the engine bay parts. Would just need to run some wires for the Tank equipement.

The AIR System should be the same for the 99 - 2002. You should see if you can get a tuner to put a 2001-2002 VIN in the PCM along with a LS6 intake on (01-02 is without EGR port) and that way it would not be require to use a EGR system.

BC

Did some research and found that the 98-99 and 2000-2002 AIR pumps are different..also the 98 & 99-03 fuel systems are different as well... As for the pics i was asking for it was in regards to the trans shift brackets and linkage. I need to get my hands on a 99 service manual and figure it out. I was thinking of getting rid of my current 99 ls1 for a newer one without egr but it since i already have it in my car why not make it work? The emissions and my fuel system swap has me Thank you guys for helping! I would love to figure it out so i can get it running soon!!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
If it's any consolation, my swap will (hopefully) be smog legal too, but I punted and went the EROD route.
I wished i had gone that route but $$ is scarce for my broke ***...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls1 emissions wiring