Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rx7 Ls3/T56 Magnum Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rx7 Ls3/T56 Magnum Swap

Just starting my first project. 418 LS3 stroker in 1993 Mazda RX7. Mostly a spirited street car, but I may take it to the strip/road course on occasion. Hoping for 600 bhp. I am swapping from an automatic to a T56 magnum, so is there anything special I need to know with the hydraulics: which parts to use, any issues with fitment or the hydraulic system itself?

Debating between McLeod RST twin disc clutch (6912-07) and RAM 9.5 twin clutch (75-2100). Any experience or recommendations are welcome.

Right now I am trying to pick out a shifter, but haven't had too much luck lately. Any recommendations?

Also any ideas for upgrading the rearend?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Well it's been a long time since I've actually updated this. I'm too lazy to actually start a build thread. Long story short went with a bored ls2 block and ls3 heads. Forged internals, 4" stroke, callies compstar rods 6.125", etc. According to the shop she should get 600 bhp on pump gas with no problem.

So I've got the engine (well minus the accessory drive system, valve covers, intake manifold, etc) and I have the chassis. Sad thing is, the total conversion package is another $6,500 plus another $500 or so just for a clutch and brake pedal assembly.

The cheaper way to go would to be to leave the chassis as an automatic...makes me shudder, but it's an option. :/

Either way I need a reliable transmission that's going to be able to hold up to 600hp+. On the manual side, the T56 mag seems to be the way to go. On the automatic side...I have not freaking clue. Any thoughts on where I should go from here?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can build the HP they have a tranny for it http://www.tciauto.com/

Seriously thinking about going auto for my next build. Likely will not... but it's the first time I've considered an auto for anything I own.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Awesome, thank you. I'll look into that.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Launching!

I have the TCI 6x in my swap and love it. It's a 6 speed 4l80 trans, you can manually lock up the converter and manual shift with paddle shifters.... Not cheap tho.
Monster transmission also makes some pretty stout autos for cheap.

Quick Reply: Rx7 Ls3/T56 Magnum Swap