Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket/Factory Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Aftermarket/Factory Gauges

I have been thinking for awhile that I'm going to have to do something about my gauges. With Factory Electronic(Older or Newer) or Aftermarket gauges, do you need extra sending units other than the ones already on the block for the PCM? Can you slice into the wires for a signal or do have to add more sending units(Mainly Oil Pres. and Coolant Temp)?

After that being said, who do you have that makes the best inexpensive electronic needle style gauges? I don't want a digital gauge and watch numbers flashing by like Dakota Digital, even though I do like there electronic module set up where you connect your devices to the module so you only have a few wires running to the gauges. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked all over for a complete, matching set of gauges, and the cheapest I could find were the Speedhut ones. You can get single ones cheaper, but if you want them all to light up the same color at night, and look the same on the faces, Speedhut is a good choice. I think I paid $430 or something for 6. You can also choose different color lights and font styles....even add your own logos to the faces if you want. All of the gauges come with sending units too.

Here's some pics. The pieces of trim that connect the tach and speedo are made by me, and don't come with the kit.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

72 Olds 4 in 1 gauges (3 3/8") fit perfect.
Search for shark or dolphin gauges on ebay, or here:
http://www.dolphingauges.com/dolphin_gauges.html

Old 07-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Both set-ups look great.
garys 68: You used 3 3/8" gauges for Cutlass gauges? I measured a stock one and even just the inside face plate of the gauge is over 3 1/2" and the full gauge is alittle over 4".

Where did you install the second oil pressure switch for the gauge? I've heard people using the oil temp switch hole on the oil bypass cover and tapping into it to install a sender. Wouldn't this cause it to stick out far and touch the exhaust?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep 3 3/8" direct fit in the 72 cutlass dash, no mods or cutting needed.
I use the original oil pressure sender location for my aftermarket gauge sending unit. Speedway motors sells the metric to 1/8" NPT adapter.
Installed:

And the back of the panel.

Last edited by garys 68; 07-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Do you know for Gen III LS1s if the oil pressure sensor is needed for the PCM or not? I'm not sure if it's needed or not since it seems like a lot of people remove it to use other sending units. I would think it would be needed but I'm wondering if it's only to send to the stock cluster, if it doesn't need to be monitored to help the way other components operate.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

no need for oil pressure sender unless you have VVT
Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Ok. I emailed Speedhut and they said GMs wouldn't work for theirs and I could get a T fitting if I want to keep it. I think I'll just remove it and get one with the gauges I get. I might have to modify my wiring harness now since I don't the Oil Pres connector enless there sensor will fit the connector end which it looks like it would.
Where did you mount your other ECT sensor?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

The drivers side head coolant temp sensor is needed for the ecu, so leave it.
I drilled and tapped the drivers side brass block plug for 1/2" NPT, then used a reducer. Others have drilled and tapped the rear passenger side head.
Originally Posted by CutLS
Ok. I emailed Speedhut and they said GMs wouldn't work for theirs and I could get a T fitting if I want to keep it. I think I'll just remove it and get one with the gauges I get. I might have to modify my wiring harness now since I don't the Oil Pres connector enless there sensor will fit the connector end which it looks like it would.
Where did you mount your other ECT sensor?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Launching!

I think I may remove the plug on the right side head to use for the sensor. That way I can run the harness separate from my engine harness and not have to modify my harness to include that. This would also allow my to make a hole or use the holes behind the engine to run those wires for the sensors in to the gauges.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary, how are the Dolphin gauges working for you? They seem well priced. I would be interested if they came in 4".
Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

They were reccomended by a lot of the hot rod groups. I've only had them a year. Working fine. I think they come in 3 3/8" and 5". Check their website.
Originally Posted by Adam123
Gary, how are the Dolphin gauges working for you? They seem well priced. I would be interested if they came in 4".

Quick Reply: Aftermarket/Factory Gauges