Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Emissions Question

I am in the process of an LQ9 swap into my ’78 Caprice Classic and I have a question for anyone familiar with these swaps in California as far as emissions. Right now I have the truck intake, but there is going to be some hood clearance issues. Is there anything I need to know as far as the BAR referee is concerned regarding the swap to an stock GM LS1 or LS6 style intake?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not recommend it.. You need to use all of the correct parts that matches the VIN of the donor car's ECM/PCM.

But i would recommend you find a few Ref stations and talk to the tech, ask them if it would be ok.. if any of them gives you all of the answers you want to hear. .use him to recert your car. You might get different answer for the same questions, depending on the Tech view and understanding of the rules/policy.

Good Luck.

BC
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Teching In

from my research you will need all of the original smog equipment, pass visible & actual smog inspection. So whatever intake you put on the engine must match what the computer will read as and must look like as well. Its been over a year but that what my local BAR referee said. Best bet is to find your local BAR referee and ask. I'm in Inland empire. also all BAR referee are not created equal so you might have to search around till you find one thats not a complete stick in the mud
Old 07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I understand, you must retain all the donor vehicles smog equipment and it must function as it did in the donor vehicle. If I were you, I would get a fbody pcm and car intake and acc. You can't swap a "truck" engine into a car. So make it look like a car engine with a car pcm and retain all smog stuff and you should get the OK. More info is available in the western section as there are tons of people with swaps in there.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Supposedly, you can swap a truck engine in a car....as long as it's originally from a half ton or lower , No 3/4 ton engines allowed.
But again, it depends on your ref anf how they read the rules.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, light or mid duty truck have the same smog equipment and standards as car, so they can be use. Note, some will disagree with this.

BC