Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help: positive crankcase pressure, oil problem

Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help: positive crankcase pressure, oil problem

I have a 6.2 in an old car. I have a carburetor on it. Long story short the engine caught fire and i put it out with a hose, so some water got into the carburetor. i hadn't touched the car in over a year so i replaced the damaged wiring, cleaned the carburetor and changed the oil. When i went to start it it lugged pretty hard, like it was hydrolocked almost, but after a few revolutions it was turning over like normal. i fired it up and it seemed to run fine. the problem is oil squirts out of my front facing breather (passenger side) when i rev it hard. when i take off the plug i have on the driver's side valve cover, i feel it pushing air out. could my rings be bad from this?

I am thinking of doing a compression and leak down test now.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. sound like the ring have failed or stuck in the Ring grooves. You said you put the fire out with a hose/water.. maybe the water sat in the cylinder and rusted the ring or valves (seals/valve guides) some. It might get better once the engine gets a little time on it again. Try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the crank case.

How is the Oil pressure ?

Yeah, Do the compression and/or Leak down test.. Good luck.

BC
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can try pulling the plugs, pump some marvel mystery oil into the cylinders then turn it over a few cranks. Probably should have been done before the restart but oh well.

Hopefully you replaced the oil and filter before the restart also.

I agree with bczee, but would add you might have damaged a head gasket. At either rate the tests should tell.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Yes i changed the oil and filter. I am running MMO in it.

I finally got around to doing a compression test. The average of the seven "normal"cylinders is 211 psi. The "problem" cylinder is 178 psi. Roughly 84% of the average reading. The next lowest was 200 psi...

I used a bore scope and everything looks fine in that cylinder. No rust on the walls.

I flycut the pistons in this engine, so since all the cylinders are not cut exactly the same, the compression will all be a little different. I was just a little surprised the one cylinder was under 180 psi compared to the others.

Any thoughts feel free to comment
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build, rent, borrow, or buy a leakdown tester to see what's going on in that problem hole.

Flycutting? Sounds more like Blackie Carbon got loose with the angle grinder.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71403
Build, rent, borrow, or buy a leakdown tester to see what's going on in that problem hole.

Flycutting? Sounds more like Blackie Carbon got loose with the angle grinder.

I have one and i just need to buy a new hose for the compressor.

The motor ran fine and ran mid 10s before it sat for 2 years. There were no errors in flycutting. It's just that it was done at home in a garage with a feeler gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help: positive crankcase pressure, oil problem