Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does VATS do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does VATS do?

With VATS enabled, what should I expect to happen?

this is my problem.

In this video, I jumped the pins in the fuel pump relay and I jumped the pins in the other relay to force the computer, the coils, and injectors on (i ran 3 separate relays for these for trouble shooting purposes later).

i used the s52 (BMW's original motor) grounding strap to connect the frame rail to one of the bolts for the AC bracket that screws into the block. for the PCM, i grounded it to the back of the drivers side head, but i might make another ground that ties that one into the grounding point near where the bmw secondary air pump is.

am i running into a VATS issue? I was pretty sure that my tuner deleted it out of the program when they did a pre tune for me, but i'm not too sure.

In this video, the MAF is connected but there is no piping going into the throttle body. there is no air intake temp sensor. there is no oil pressure sensor. all of the other gm sensors are hooked up (coolant temp, map, crank position, cam position, throttle body position, the other one located on the throttle body).

can anyone help give me advice as to why the thing fires for a half second and then dies?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

I dont know if what you are experiencing is vats related

But vats is vehicle anti theft system. There is a microchip in the key, and some sort of receiver in the computer, if you try to start the car or other key related actions without the microchip in the key it shuts the car down. Wont do anything no matter what you do.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I was mainly wondering because this is a swap car so i clearly don't have the correct key or the correct ignition.

I was wondering if the problem of it cranking, but not holding a problem caused by the VATS kicking in.

does vats turn off the injectors, the coils, or cut power to the fuel pump?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vats can let a car start but then shut off. You need to have that tuned out either way
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Teching In

so you're saying that the problem that i'm running to (as it is in the video) is caused by VATS?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

it "could be"

If the VATS is still there, it probably is. VATS has to go either way, if you don't know for sure, find out, if you cant find out, send it to someone who can tune it. VATS delete on ebay usually runs like $100 plus shipping both ways.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by asinapple8805
so you're saying that the problem that i'm running to (as it is in the video) is caused by VATS?
Sounds and acts like VATS to me.

Quick Reply: What does VATS do?