Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-body or F-body belt spacing? One any better than the other?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-body or F-body belt spacing? One any better than the other?

Putting a 2004 GTO crate motor into a Panoz HERE.

Fairly open options wise as to my accessory setup. I'm replacing the balancer with an ATI so I can go y-body or f-body belt spacing. I want to put the alternator on the lower driver's side and route the belts as shown here:

I can go with the Y-body ATI and the alternator bracket from Alpermotorsports on the Y-body belt spacing.

But here's my concern... I'm going with manual steering to start. If it turns out my father doesn't like it on track I want to be able to throw the power rack back in and easily add power steering i.e. grab a F-body bracket/pump.

Because of the PS concern I was all set on F-body accessories, but then I started digging on here and figured out the G8 and CTS-V accessories are on Y-body spacing so I could just get a PS bracket/pump form one of those right? Or, do they sick out farther to the side to clear the block?

Here's a LS swapped Panoz... I have to be careful how much stuff sticks out on the driver's side:

Anything I'm missing? I.e. G8/CTS-V PS brackets are harder to find or more expensive? G8/CTS-V brackets push the PS pump out farther?

Should I just stick with F-body belt spacing? I have plenty of room up front, but I prefer to keep things as compact as possible.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just stay with the f-body spacing. If you switch to y-body, you'll also have to change the water pump.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the LS1 water pump accommodates both F-body and Y-body belt spacing.

The Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and GTO all share the same water pump, even though they use different depth balancers. The reason the water pumps are interchangeable is that the water pump drive pulley is twice as wide as the other platforms, allowing the belt to ride in 2 different locations. Therefore, you can use either water pump with either platform, although you should check your clearance between your fans and/or radiator. 04 and later model Corvette platforms use a water pump that has the pulley only as wide as the belt.

Quick Reply: Y-body or F-body belt spacing? One any better than the other?