Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64 impala LS1 power steering help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 impala LS1 power steering help

got an intermittent issue with my power steering on my impala. started on the way to car craft and is no at the point where its got no power steering at all.

Car is a 64 impala, LS1/4L60e swap, using stock 99 camaro steering pump, steering box is from ECKLERS (delphi 600 box)

drove the car for a week and a half with no issues then suddenly lost all power steering(very stiff) effort in the wheel. pulled over, checked the obvious, Has new belt, no sign of air in the system., fluid level is good. lifted front wheels off the ground and tried the bleed procedure to see if would get better but no change. it will intermittently start working after i make a turn but only stays a short while.

Any ideas guys? i'm thinking PUMP has a sticking internal valve as all other things check out fine in steering system or could it be a pressure issue??

Thanks in advance guys
Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Launching!

I don't think it's a pressure problem. If you need a pump to swap out I have one on a engine here, but will need it back. You can use it to try trouble shoot and se if it's the pump at least. Your lines how old are they? Maybe ( guessing now) they might be collapsing and they can't get enuff fluid in the sysytem.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

lines came off the 98 camaro bolt straight up to the new gear box i'm running. lines could be possible but i'm leaning more toward pump.

would be awesome to try another pump, saves going out and buying to find out it might not be the problem.

All i know is these cars are a bitch to turn with big rims and no power steering. lol

Quick Reply: 64 impala LS1 power steering help