Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Blowing fuses

Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Blowing fuses

I recently started driving my wrx after putting a 2000 ls1/t56 in it. However, I noticed its blowing the fuse for the constant hot wire for the engine harness. Ive driven it 3 times so far for 10-15 miles. Its blowing the fuse sometime between when I turn the car off and start it back up the next day, only to realize it won't fire because that fuse is blown. If its only ran for like 5 mins, it's fine. It had a 10a fuse and went to a 15a but it still blew. Also, after replacing the fuse, it fires right up but it doesn't want to run for like 10-15 secs before smoothing out. Also, the tps sensor and something else makes a noise when you turn the key on and off. Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be any number of things. Make sure the engine grounds are good, look for wires with chaffed insulation that might be shorting to ground and believe it or not check for loose or corroded connections that might not be passing current well. Beyond that there could be a faulty part that is shorting out.

What ever you do don't put a larger fuse in there. Fix whatever is broken before it takes something with it.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Teching In

I just put a 15 in just to see if maybe 10 wasnt enough but I guess 10 is fine. What does the constant wire power other than the ecu? Or could a short anywhere in the harness cause that specific fuse to blow? I think it's a faulty part as it only seems to blow it after driving it for awhile and you shut it off.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Well the fuse blew again friday morning while going down the road. Replaced the fuse, expecting it to fire up again like usual but no...nothing. Had to get it towed home. Took some of the wire loom apart, and what I saw looked fine. Checked two fused links, those were fine. The orange wires get 12v all the way to the pins on the PCM. Even the pink wires checked out.

Its not getting spark and I don't think the injectors are getting power either, as I took a plug out to check spark and I didnt smell gas, although theres pressure in the lines. This makes me think the crank sensor is bad, but can that blow the 10a constant hot fuse? The fuse won't blow no matter how much I wiggle the wiring. I still need to check for power at the sensor though. The grounds look ok too.

A couple things that make me wonder about the PCM is that the iac doesn't buzz anymore when you first turn the key on, nor is there a zap noise. And my cel light isn't hooked up but I probed it with the dds and it doesn't have power when first keyed on. Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls1 Blowing fuses