Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New long block vs. used pull out

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New long block vs. used pull out

I want a whipple charged LS to swap into my 66 Chevelle . 600/600 RWHP. If I get a junk yard engine , I won't be using the truck accessories, harness , intake , and exhaust , or trans .
If I start my swap instead with a new boost ready long block , will the pieces that are missing from a long block , make me wish I started the project with the junk yard pull out? Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

That's a great question. I spent about $500 getting the junkyard/used truck accessories (ECM, wiring harness, ps pump, alternator, starter) for my longblock when I bought it. Later I spent a whole bunch more money intermixing new L99 accessories, but I am still planning to use the alternator, ECM, and wiring harness. The longblock came with sensors you may or may not get with a new longblock (knock sensors, crank position, cam etc). It's really hard to say what these would cost, but I'd say buy the new boost ready longblock and figure out the accessories afterwards.

I should also warn I ended up rebuliding the shortblock due to internal rust. I'm not sure if it was due to storage by the junkyard or me washing the engine and storing it, but either way there are risks with a junkyard motor too.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 08-09-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

No, because the junk yard pull out won't be "boost ready", so you are tearing it down and rebuilding it anyway, to handle whatever boost you can throw at it.

Kind of a catch 22 question. The whipple is going to cost you north of 4 grand, so cares about a few accessories when you are into that kind of money anyway...

T,

Quick Reply: New long block vs. used pull out