Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving ecm inside car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving ecm inside car.

My buddy and I have been thinking about moving our ecm inside the car. We seen a trans am at norwalk 2 weeks ago that had his moved inside the car on the passenger floor board. I have been searching for write ups and if theres any extention harness to move it to the center console area.

I seen alot of the ecm's mounted in different places but mostly all are for conversion cars. We both have f-bodies, my friend is looking to clean up his engine bay, I'm looking to move it and delete my ac and heat for more room to #8 plug.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Mods if this isn't the right place for this, my fault. I just thought it would be a better spot. As more people here have played with the pcm.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you looking for an extension harness or a new harness for the car? An extension may be tough, because the mating PCM connectors are intended to be hard mounted to the PCM. Would hate to see you have to cut and extend all the PCM wires.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

I just want to move it through the firewall, mount it to the passenger floor/firewall.

My buddy I believe is looking for an extension harness. Im not sure what he plans to do.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning to move mine to the rear seat area of my mustang. should prove fun....
Old 08-13-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Jon/PSI said, I would not want to extend the harness or make an extention (if possible).

But, Considering most of the Engine harness of a F-body is joinned near the rear of the engine/bay, which is tucked under the cowl of an F-body. You should be able to unwrap the harness and adjust the routing of the wires/harness into the cab and mount the PCM there inside.

What might be an issue is the 'C' plugs/connectors (C100, etc) and harness on the right side of the engine bay that are connected to the Fuse Box and battery. Are you planning on moving the Fuse box or some of it ? you might be able to create a extentsion harness for the C Plugs/connectors..

I don't see an issue with the harness going to the BCM, shouldn't be a problem since your moving the PCM inside to where the BCM is. Just reroute.

I was able to unwrap and reroute the harness on both of my swap cars (71 Nova and Chevelle) to have the PCM inside.(yeah.. not the same as your f-body).

BC
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

I was thinking if I don't keep my heater, I could mount the pcm to the inside of the heater delete panel if the harness is long enough to reach that far.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Through the firewall, with just enough length for a glovebox or under-passenger dash install....

Quick Reply: Moving ecm inside car.