Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Swap Question

I have a complete 2000 Tahoe that I can use all of the A/C components from and i'm wondering how hard it would be to put in the HVAC box from under the dash into a GM A-body (1971 LeMans). Anyone try this before?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It wouldn't be easy to put the whole thing under the dash, there's not much room for a unit that big and getting the fresh air to it would be tough. I took the evaporator out of a.2003 Silverado and put it in my '72 truck A/C box under the hood. Used the condenser, compressor and lines and it worked good. Was a little work making it fit, but was better than aftermarket in my opinion. There's pics of it in my build thread in my sig.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah I remember reading that thread the other day actually... It looked really good when you were finished with it. Where did you get your lines made??
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Those were all the stock lines and hoses, but I did have to have one fitting welded when I cracked it trying to bend it, and that screwed up the hose, so I cut it off and had a barb fitting TIG'd on it and the hose crimped back on. The TIG welding I had done at a small welding/fabrication shop (one man business, used to be a sprint car driver or something, but is a damn good welder) and the hose I had cripmed at the local Oreily's. If you can find someone in your area that can TIG aluminum lines, it makes making A/C lines a piece of cake, and you can usually make them look neater since you're not stuck with the way the factory stuff is laid out. I would ask around at a local car show, there's bound to be someone in your area who can do your welding.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Swap Question