Sponsored by:

gas tank fumes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gas tank fumes

Hey guys,
My Nova is stinking up the house. I find it great, but my wife does not. The car is in the garage & when the AC kicks on it pulls the fumes inside.
Does any see a problem with capping my old vent tubes on the gas tank & getting a vented gas cap?
It is an orginal 1972 gas tank, with I think 1 vent line & 1 that I think went to a carcoal canister.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump. Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

That's the same way my SS is vented..small 1/4 line on the sending unit, and I can't smell any fumes..
Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Have you checked to make sure it isn't leaking anywhere? I've seen tanks leak at the sender from a bad or incorrectly installed sending unit o ring, and you'll smell it, but it won't leak on to the ground since it's on top of the tank, and only comes out a little from the gas sloshing around while driving.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Another thing to check is what type of fuel line are you using, I used the Jegs cloth braided black fuel line and fittings and I too had real bad fumes. I switched out my entire fuel line with a steel braided TEFLON lined hose and it took care if my fumes completely.

I read you want to make sure if you are using hose that it is Teflon lined, and be careful gas fumes shouldn't be taken lightly if your house A/C is sucking in the gas fumes you have a electrical motor in your A/C unit which may create very small electrical sparks and coupled with your fumes, you have the recipe for a potential explosion.

My Ricks tank has a 1/4 nipple on the fuel tank neck and that just goes to a little stand pipe in my 66 GTO trunk.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would find were your A/C unit its leaking air.

Were is the return air located as well as the unit?

If its in the garage then it might have a leak. I would make sure the inside of the return air is sealed off good, no gaps in for air to get into it other than through the filter.Seems to me dirty air is getting in the house.

Now it could be as simple as your door going into the garage is leaking air when the unit kicks on. Check the seal on it was well.

If the car had a charcoal canister I would hook it up and the EVAP system be easy enough to do. That would help stop the smell. But still need to find the reason for it getting into the house to begin with as that air leak is costing you money!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Have you checked to make sure it isn't leaking anywhere? I've seen tanks leak at the sender from a bad or incorrectly installed sending unit o ring, and you'll smell it, but it won't leak on to the ground since it's on top of the tank, and only comes out a little from the gas sloshing around while driving.
There does not seem to be any leaking on the sides & none on the ground. I have not dopped it down to look on top, but I have not changed the sending unit. I also did not have this with the old set up.

The next step will be to drop it down & see what is going on by the sender & the vent tubes.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo185
I would find were your A/C unit its leaking air.

Were is the return air located as well as the unit?

If its in the garage then it might have a leak. I would make sure the inside of the return air is sealed off good, no gaps in for air to get into it other than through the filter.Seems to me dirty air is getting in the house.

Now it could be as simple as your door going into the garage is leaking air when the unit kicks on. Check the seal on it was well.

If the car had a charcoal canister I would hook it up and the EVAP system be easy enough to do. That would help stop the smell. But still need to find the reason for it getting into the house to begin with as that air leak is costing you money!

The A/C unit is in the garage. It is a Geo thermal unit if that makes a difference.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizeec
Another thing to check is what type of fuel line are you using, I used the Jegs cloth braided black fuel line and fittings and I too had real bad fumes. I switched out my entire fuel line with a steel braided TEFLON lined hose and it took care if my fumes completely.

I read you want to make sure if you are using hose that it is Teflon lined, and be careful gas fumes shouldn't be taken lightly if your house A/C is sucking in the gas fumes you have a electrical motor in your A/C unit which may create very small electrical sparks and coupled with your fumes, you have the recipe for a potential explosion.

My Ricks tank has a 1/4 nipple on the fuel tank neck and that just goes to a little stand pipe in my 66 GTO trunk.
I have mostly steel hard line & some nylon. I have not read of anyone having fumes with the nylon line.

How do you like your Rick's tank?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
Another thing to check is what type of fuel line are you using, I used the Jegs cloth braided black fuel line and fittings and I too had real bad fumes..
Thats not good to hear. I recently found out the Summit brand of twist-tite hose is no longer rated for fuel use. I've been planning on using the Jegs black nylon that you are referring to. I guess at least I didn't order it yet & the box of Summit hose and fittings are no good now.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crosstraining
The A/C unit is in the garage. It is a Geo thermal unit if that makes a difference.
Seems to me like you have an intake air leak. I would inspect the unit. It could let carbon monoxide into the house and that would be worse than gas!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have mostly steel hard line & some nylon. I have not read of anyone having fumes with the nylon line.

How do you like your Rick's tank?
I like the Ricks tank it is almost too pretty to put under the car, I got a great deal on it as I live in El Paso and they are local to me, I got to deal with Hector, he is Ricks father, and they have a nice shop and nice people to deal with. It is about the only part I was able to buy local and get a good deal on, everything I had to order and have shipped in. Oh the other thing I can get cheap and local are the tacos, but that's about it in this town.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We offer a small vent catch can with charcoal to keep the smell down.

https://www.nastyperformance.com/sho...tank-vent-can/
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You well always get Gas Vapors.. you really need to use a Charcoal canister setup of some type if your drive and keep the car in the Garage that is connected to a House.

Using a Vented cap is not always the best solution. As the tank and fuel expand.. the vapors are going to want to excape.

As Nasty is marketing. It would be a good idea to get something in place. if the cost is too much. you can always hunt one down in the pick n pull and connect it up to the vent lines to let it filter the venting vapors.

BC
Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
We offer a small vent catch can with charcoal to keep the smell down.

https://www.nastyperformance.com/sho...tank-vent-can/
Originally Posted by bczee
You well always get Gas Vapors.. you really need to use a Charcoal canister setup of some type if your drive and keep the car in the Garage that is connected to a House.

Using a Vented cap is not always the best solution. As the tank and fuel expand.. the vapors are going to want to excape.

As Nasty is marketing. It would be a good idea to get something in place. if the cost is too much. you can always hunt one down in the pick n pull and connect it up to the vent lines to let it filter the venting vapors.

BC
Thanks,
I did not know about this. I will check into getting one.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have Geothermal, as well.
Unless the garage has an air input & output duct (heating & cooling the garage with geothermal), I'm not understanding how the garage fumes are entering the house.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Thats not good to hear. I recently found out the Summit brand of twist-tite hose is no longer rated for fuel use. I've been planning on using the Jegs black nylon that you are referring to. I guess at least I didn't order it yet & the box of Summit hose and fittings are no good now.
I was just getting ready to order some -6 fuel hose. Which hose did you come up with? Summit has some steel braided I was going to order but now you have me thinking.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

resurrecting my thread because I finally getting around to the charcoal canister.
On a 72 Nova I see the tank has a feed & return line. There are also 2 other lines on top passenger side of the tank. Are they both vent lines? The lines go into the body. Does anyone know where they come out at? I want to run 1 line to a charcoal canister to reduce the gas smell. Can cap the other line?
Thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, they are both vents.

There should be 2 or 3 vent lines.. They are routed into the body behind the rear seat, where there is a "Separator Assembly" (for Liquid/Vapor). Then there is a line that goes from there to the front Charcoal Canister.

BC
Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes, they are both vents.

There should be 2 or 3 vent lines.. They are routed into the body behind the rear seat, where there is a "Separator Assembly" (for Liquid/Vapor). Then there is a line that goes from there to the front Charcoal Canister.

BC
Thank you.

Quick Reply: gas tank fumes