Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project-89 Coupe LSX Re-swap, now going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project-89 Coupe LSX Re-swap, now going turbo

I bought this car probably about 2 months ago and I am just getting started on it. A little bit about the car-02 LQ9 with 4L60E out of a Denali, 5 lug conversion, newer paint, cowl hood, sub-frame connectors, moroso rear drag springs, and 3.73 gears. Motor and trans are bone stock.

I knew the car needed somethings on the swap re-done and that didn't bother me, plus I was going to mod the motor but I was not expecting this. The guy I bought the car off of did a pretty shitty job on the swap, basically hacked up a ton of **** on it! The further and further we got into tearing it apart, the more and more aggrevated I got! I couldn't believe someone would actually do the stupid *** things this guy did on the swap! Oh well, I had planned on pulling the motor to build it some so now I get the chance to re-do the swap the right way.

The car will be getting the following

Parts I already have-
Cartek 4x heads
RPM level 5 t56
Custom made stainless steel headers
Built 8.8 rearend (4.10s, spool, 35 spline axles, 9in ends, 5/8in upgraded studs)
Flaming river steering rack
Lakewood 50/50 rear shocks
Weight jackers & double adjustable control arms

Parts I still need
Front shocks
42lb injectors
Intake manifold (undecided on which one)
Fuel rails
90m TB
Custom cam (undecided on exact specs)
Clutch
Drive shaft
AJE K-member
And probably some misc parts along the way

Now on to pics!

These pics are of the engine after a few things were taken off (vortec intake cover, intake that belongs on a moped). The dumbasas had both the full Denali and 4cyl mustang harness still in the car!

The "custom" exhaust made for the car WELDED directly to the exhaust manifolds!

Motor on the way out!

Engine bay empty, cleaned and ready to be smoothed!

Last edited by 95civic2005; 03-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Motor mounts look scarey too. Don't you just hate cleaning up someone elses ****!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I actually went back and forth for about a month on buying this car but never went and looked at it in person. Good luck man. Glad to see it will be done correctly this time.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Motor mounts look scarey too. Don't you just hate cleaning up someone elses ****!
Yeah no doubt! It will get an AJE k-member and motor mounts so the junk on there now I won't have to worry about.

Originally Posted by Blk4v00gt
I actually went back and forth for about a month on buying this car but never went and looked at it in person. Good luck man. Glad to see it will be done correctly this time.
Thanks, and now I'm sort of wishing I would have just drove my truck home with an empty trailer but oh well, too late now. It will be done right this time for sure.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am about to start weeding through my 4 banger harness now. Tangled mess with a ton of splices for various lights and stereo stuff....it is just an ugly mess.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sarg
I am about to start weeding through my 4 banger harness now. Tangled mess with a ton of splices for various lights and stereo stuff....it is just an ugly mess.
No doubt on that! I ditched the denali harness and went with a standalone harness. What all are you using the 4cyl harness for?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Just body stuff...headlights, brakes, ac/heater stuff, fuel sending unit, that sort of thing.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Just body stuff...headlights, brakes, ac/heater stuff, fuel sending unit, that sort of thing.
Gotcha. I thought the lights had a harness of there own tho?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty sure they do, but it is a rats nest under there from the previous owner.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

I can still hear my dads voice everytime im in the garage "Do it right or dont do it at all"
Love my Dad for that.

Glad the car is in good hands now.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

nice looking coupe!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo_Stang
I can still hear my dads voice everytime im in the garage "Do it right or dont do it at all"
Love my Dad for that.

Glad the car is in good hands now.
Haha, No doubt and I agree 100%! Hoping to have some updated pics Sunday of the engine bay. Hoping to have quite a bit of it welded up and ready to go. I only get over to work on it once a week so the progress will probably be slow on it unfortunately.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Trying my best to determine what I can delete on this stupid harness and what I need to keep. Don't suppose you know what the computer under the passenger side dash is do you? Looks like I have an ECU in the engine compartment and one under the passenger dash. That one looks like it might be a bit of a pain to get to with the cage where it is at.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Trying my best to determine what I can delete on this stupid harness and what I need to keep. Don't suppose you know what the computer under the passenger side dash is do you? Looks like I have an ECU in the engine compartment and one under the passenger dash. That one looks like it might be a bit of a pain to get to with the cage where it is at.
Not 100% sure what all the one under the dash controls. I took mine out along with the wiring harness connected to it that went through the firewall. I will be looking at what all is connected to that after the engine bay is done and motor is ready to go back in. I am REALLY hoping there isn't anything we need from it but I don't think that will be the case.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very clean car. Shame it was hacked together. Cant wait to see some updated pics.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

I am in the process of stripping my harness as well. Just going with a bare bones setup. Headlights, brakes, turn signals, ignition to fuel pump, and power locks. It is definately a rats nest. The mustang harness is located under the dash and ties into the interrior harness at the green plug. Otherwise the harness is completly isolated.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TopNotchLSX
I am in the process of stripping my harness as well. Just going with a bare bones setup. Headlights, brakes, turn signals, ignition to fuel pump, and power locks. It is definately a rats nest. The mustang harness is located under the dash and ties into the interrior harness at the green plug. Otherwise the harness is completly isolated.
Cool, thanks for the heads up! My camaro just sold so let the serious modding begin!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thinking the one under the hood is the airbag module. I have been wrong before though, need to get my friend, freeman the wiring guru, over here to check it out and I will let you guys know.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Made a little progress on the engine bay this weekend. Gotta get the sway bar mounts off, which I don't think is gonna be easy, and finish smoothing around the weld-in panels and frame rails. Probably going to take 3 coats on everything. Hoping to finish it this weekend and get it to the painter to finish it so I can get the motor back in and get this thing done!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those sway bar mounts are a BITCH!

I tried drilling the spot welds out but that didnt work. Best way is to sawzall them off then smooth the frame rail with a grinder, thats what I ended up doing.

Quick Reply: Project-89 Coupe LSX Re-swap, now going turbo