Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rat Rod: How will straight up drag style headers sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rat Rod: How will straight up drag style headers sound?

We are contemplating running dragster style headers (pointing straight up with no collector or mufflers) on a rat rod. Motor will likely be an LS3 GM crate motor with a hot cam swap and a Holley Hi Ram-intake (all top end).

How will the exhaust note be with no collector? Does anyone have a video example?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking about this with some old headers i had, but you still have to run
O2 sensors if your going to keep it efi I believe. I was going to use a collector but i would still look funny turned up headers sticking out of the hood with o2 sensors.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rat rod and LS3 crate motor are oxymorons, defeats the intent of having a rat rod.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Midnightnova
I was thinking about this with some old headers i had, but you still have to run
O2 sensors if your going to keep it efi I believe. I was going to use a collector but i would still look funny turned up headers sticking out of the hood with o2 sensors.
You could always delete O2 sensor input and run off of a table. Not sure how this is done with the OEM ECU but I think the reflash systems have O2 sensor delete capabilities.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike52
Rat rod and LS3 crate motor are oxymorons, defeats the intent of having a rat rod.
I hear you, but I thought the whole point with rat rods is that there are very few rules except run what you'd like.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Don't listen to haters. Do what you want with your car, man. Post up some pics of your rat rod later on. I'd like to see it.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default zoomies

They had an LS3 on British Top Gear with zoomies it sounded beast although it was attached to a blender.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing like the sound of 8 open pipes!
Go for it!
Jarhead
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Like a$$.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by halllon
We are contemplating running dragster style headers (pointing straight up with no collector or mufflers) on a rat rod. Motor will likely be an LS3 GM crate motor with a hot cam swap and a Holley Hi Ram-intake (all top end).

How will the exhaust note be with no collector? Does anyone have a video example?
It will sound something like this. 6.0, ls6 intake, 233/239, open header turned up, 41 chevy p/u, chopped, channeled, bagged, etc. I disabled the vats and made this vid a month or so ago. Sounded pretty sick but I will be putting my o2 bung in as it will be below the hood. As far as the other people saying it wont work, it will sound horrible, blah blah blah... Let me be the first to tell you that they are correct! My swap had such a bad sound that just after posting this vid my wife left me, my daughter moved to a covenant in Russia, my mother disowned me, my father shot himself, all my friends crucified me and I died....Im dead right now... Im sending you this from the grave...Dont do it man! Open headers turned upside down and coming outta the hood will ruin your life. WTF. LOL. Hope ya like the vid.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

will sound like a demo derby car,some like it some woulnt. o2 sensor will be the problem.i know you can delete post cats but not sure on primary. they are what the pcm uses to monitor air fuel ratio.

Quick Reply: Rat Rod: How will straight up drag style headers sound?