Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Lines options ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Transmission Lines options ?

Hey Guys.. time to do the trans lines on my Nova project. Not being much of an Auto Trans guy, I could use a bit of help. What are you guys doing for lines (OEM lines are not an option)?

I plan to run the lines from the trans, on top of the Subframe and around the A-Arm and then to the Trans/Cooler.

1) I could run Teflon Lined Stainless Steel -6 Hose from trans to cooler with AN fittings. This is the easy route, Not sure what Sanctioning Bodys have on rule restriction on what can be used on the Tracks (Auto-x or Drags) or how much can be used.

2) Bend up some 3/8" Stainless Steel tubing and get the AN -6 Bunts brazed on. Then use some short Stainless Steel Teflon Linesd Hose and AN Fittings.

Also.. what do you guy do for the external cooler, before or after the Radiator ?

Just a few suggestion is all that is needed.

Thanks..

BC
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with -6 braided teflon lines. It was easy and looks good when routed correctly. If I remember correctly, I think NHRA allows more routing options if you use anything that is braided but I may be thinking of fuel line too. Get a plate and fin (stacked plate) cooler and put it in front of the radiator. The tube and fin does not cool as well. I got mine from Ebay. I would not recommend mounting a cooler on the radiator though. Build some mounting brackets.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM
mjc
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always just used that bendable brake line from the local parts store. If it is to long just cut and flare it. I also get rid of the cooler in the radiator just use external one
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went with standard -6 fuel lines
Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Launching!

I second the brake line. You could add the braided flex to the ends if you wanted. As to the cooler, I have tried every different way and now I route to the external cooler, then to the radiator, then back to the trans. This way I maintain a more even temp and help get it up to temp quicker while still having extra cooling capacity from the external cooler. I am sure you will get opinions different from this.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Paul57.. is there a model or a picture of the one you suggested..? I see a lot of these fined tubes and the Hayden ones..

trying to bend up some 3/8" SS tubing now for the lines, if that doesn't turn out, I'll just run -6 AB fittings with Teflon Line SS hose.

BC
Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the lines that came with my dropout, bent them so they came around the front of the oil pan (used oil pan bolts to hold the clamps) toward the driver side. That is how far the stock lines took me. Cut the nibs off the ends, and ran Swagelok fittings into a 5/16 line up to the connection on my radiator. Worked great. No issues so far. This is on a 66 Nova.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks all,

I was going to run the OEM stock lines, but the Headers were in the way as they were close to bell housing and covering much of the stock routing of the lines, I would have had to Bend the lines lower to almost the bottom of the Bell Housing.. didn't want to take a chance of something on the road coming into contact..speed bump, etc..

They are Edelbrock Headers.. so I figured it be best to run out the side of the trans and up the subframe to the front, just have to route around the A-Arm and support bracket.

Will see how good of a job I do on beding the SS Tubing. I know, if it was Alum or steel, It might be easier. But that me.. overkill and do it the hard way .... LOL.. Once of these days, I'll learn to just take the easy way...LOL

BC
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Thanks all,

Will see how good of a job I do on beding the SS Tubing. I know, if it was Alum or steel, It might be easier. But that me.. overkill and do it the hard way .... LOL.. Once of these days, I'll learn to just take the easy way...LOL

BC
I have bent a lot of stainless, a tip you may already know is to spray a little lube (wd40 ECT.) on the tube before bending.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bczee
Paul57.. is there a model or a picture of the one you suggested..? I see a lot of these fined tubes and the Hayden ones..
This is the kind I have... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-19...b92dad&vxp=mtr
I am pretty sure that thing could cool a freight train. ;-) Mine is only about 1/2 exposed to good airflow. I do not and would not recommend using the radiator trans cooler unless you drive your car in the winter. The radiator warms it up faster and keeps it warmer.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think 3/8 would be a little large and is a little harder to bend. Pretty sure all the stock cooler lines are 5/16. I also found if you get a 5/16 compression fitting nuts and put them over the line then double flare you can attach to -AN fittings without issue. This is how I connected my hard line canversion for the turbo oil feed( just used a 1/4 line). My braided steel line ruptured under the braid. I always use 5/16 hard line from the parts store for trans cooler lines.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I went with standard -6 fuel lines
That's what I did. I have done three cars this way and haven't had a problem with any of them. I have the same thing for power steering lines on my 84.

Quick Reply: Transmission Lines options ?