Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Questions ECU,Fuel,Tuning? (used search)

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Questions ECU,Fuel,Tuning? (used search)

I'll be going ahead with either a 4.8 or 5.3 for the camaro this winter when taxes come back. but i have a few questions i need answered.

1) ECU the vats removal (just get the car runing) who does it on here and whats it going to cost me i'll be doing all the wiring myself (well mostly i have a friend who is an electronics major) so all i will need is the ecu setup to run the engine.

2)Fuel i have all the basics worked out and know all the options on modding baffeling or buying a new tank but this one i just thought of and had to ask

If i used a swirlpot/surge tank couldn't i just build a one gallon tank use a stock in tank fuel pump (the stock fuelpump would be in the surgetank not the gas tank) installed there at the same lvl of the tank and use the vacuum generated to fill that tank and keep it full allowing me to leave my gas tank completly stock? also maybe make the tank primeable with a small filler cap?

3) I have a turbo kit i plan on using (maybe not right away) how far do you think you can take the stock ecu before i either have to buy hptuners or have it tuned or both?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nate,

You are way off.

$100 to get the vats tuned out. to be honest, wait til you know your exhaust and have the motor tuned for both. Best bet is to get vats turned off then get the engine running and get a street tune. Cost me lots of time chasing my a** when the street tune fixed it.

As for the wiring, wait til winter. PSI will have a special and you will get a better deal than hacking up your wiring. I work in computers and wire stuff all the time. Wasting your time making your own harness is a waste. Remove your old harness and sell it on ebay for a hundred and fifty bucks and let someone else waste their time. Take the $150 off of the new wiring kit for $500 and you will have a nice clean new wiring harness and some tech support from PSI that is priceless. PRICELESS.

if you dont have your tank selected, you have nothing worked out. I would recommend finding a newer tank setup for fuel injection that you will just replace the pump and make connections. You can have an original one welded up for the pump but you will lose some fuel capacity and it will still be metal when a newer one will be plastic and not corrode with the newer harsh fuels.

your pipe dream of a vacuum and priming the tank will only cause you headache.

asking how far you can take the ecu is like asking to go up. If you want your car to run right, get a street tune.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

wiring isn't an issue i have already done a wiring harness myself for a 7mgte swap on an 83 supra (that was done by me in about a month with no help) so i'm not worried about wiring free vs 500 always going to win.

by worked out i am either going to cut and baffle my stock tank which is still in mint condition. or running a swirl tank setup. but with a swirl tank you need 2 pumps one to pull out of the tank and one to push to the engine. which is fine but i was just wondering if a single pump had been done. i was already planning on keeping my tank anyway. again free vs 500 always wins. i can put the extra cash towards a better fuel rail or injectors. and with a surge tank i get stock tank and still get 0 loss of pressure.

as far as the tune is concerned what i ment was would it be safe with stock tuning to run the turbos tell i can get a street tune or better done.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Teching In

If you plan on running a swirl pot run a low pressure pump to fill the swirl pot and either an inpot (I would say in tank but it's in the pot) or external pump.

This is a proven and simple system that works and is pretty cheap.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_67RS
as far as the tune is concerned what i ment was would it be safe with stock tuning to run the turbos tell i can get a street tune or better done.
No, don't even try that.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with LS1MCSS. If you are looking for VATs removal or basic stuff, I would recommend mail order. If you are looking to run the turbos right away, find a local dyno.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 Questions ECU,Fuel,Tuning? (used search)