Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Boost Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Boost Controller?

Can anyone explain to me how a manual boost controller works? I see how it connects and I think I have an idea on operation, but no one can tell me what spring, if any, I should put in the wastegate. I was considering putting a boost controller on my Chevelle, but trying to figure out if its gonna be in my best interest.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the manual boost controllers I've seen are basically a controlled leak before the wastegate actuator. You bleed off a couple psi before the actuator so your X psi wastegate setup doesn't actually see X psi until the manifold sees a higher pressure. More leak = more boost.

I have no real turbo exp, but I hear they're prone to surging and over boosting sometimes.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Why are you thinking of putting one on the car?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Launching!

The way I prefer to hook up as boost controller is to run the boost reference line from ic pipe straight to the lower port on the wastegate then run a 2nd line thru the boost controller (air compressor regulator) and connect it to the top vent line of the ws diaphram and you slowly increase psi to the top to help hold the ws closed longer making more boost. I have had much better luck with this method compared to just having the regulator cutting psi to the under side of the wg diaphram seems to be more consistent. Just my two cents. Oh and you just run what ever spring you want to have as your lowest boost setting.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ask because I know my turbos are big for my combo and am just trying to think of ways to make the boost not lag as much. I put 3.08 gears in and it's just too low, but my only other aption at the moment is 4.10. I'm sure that will be too much. was wondering if a boost controller would help.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Probably not the most practical or affordable solution, but it would look cool coming from an old Chevelle:

Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Rally missfiring systems are indeed cool but not legal in most states on the road. also they can do TONS of damage to your engine because you essentially setting off on the turbo hot side. if timed right the turbo never leaves full spool if timed wrong even just a little you will blow anything from turbo vains,head gasket, cause overpressure on the pistons making cracks holes or spinning bearings. they are awsome when built right but not cheap at all and will cause engine problems not maybe it will hurt your car.even a well setup misfiring system will cut the life of a turbo motor almost in half.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I don't like the backfiring sound. I don't want my car sounding like a Honda or a Nissan!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

you could run a small amount of the charged air from your intercooler to the hot side of your turbo it's not a true anti lag system but it would help keep your turbo more spooled when the blade is closed on your intake thats not hard to setup and it would also help cool your turbo a little. i don't know if that helps much but you might see a little gain on the low end depending on how much you vent to the hot side when your throttle blade is closed(well mostly closed...you know).

you have to be careful doing that though to much and you will outrun your wastegate.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

The anti-lag was more of a joke than anything. I realize that they aren't legal and cause longevity issues.

As for other ideas, I've got nothing aside from a quick spool valve or something (that I know nothing about and I think they require special turbos to even function). Maybe a small shot of NaWzzzz to get you up to where the turbos spool, but that's not really practical either.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also found that my BOVs needed to be adjusted. I tightened the screw yesterday and it feels a little better.

Quick Reply: Manual Boost Controller?