Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Harness was modded by current performance. Vats turned off. My harness grounds aren't in the greatest mounting spots so I'm going to try new spots to get better grounds
Nice build. What harness and ECM did you start with? Are you controlling the 4L80E with the ECM? Outboard TCM?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Woodz
I've enjoyed reading about your swap. Any updates. You provided me with some great info for my next swap which will be a 84 Monte Carlo. Wish you luck with issues your having, PSI makes a great product and provide the best customer service I have experienced so far. I purchased a harness and pcm from them in my 65 impala swap and they answered every question i had quickly.
Yes. Jon at PSI has awesome customer service. This was my second time using his harness. My daily (90 k1500 5.3 swap ) has his harness as well.

As for updates, not much at all. It's just been sitting while I've been taking a good chunk of my debt out with the new job and taxes. I am just awaiting a response from the shop to when I will take my car up there and have a few things done. Including swapping the engine harness, relocation of the battery , shortening my turndowns so my swap bar can fit and removing my GN rear. Than I will take the rear to a local shop near me and they will fix the problem with the slightly bent tube. They will also mod the backing plate bracket to house the ls1 brakes so I can have disc/disc for my setup.

Believe me waiting us killing me everyday spring gets closer....
Old 02-15-2015, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Nice build. What harness and ECM did you start with? Are you controlling the 4L80E with the ECM? Outboard TCM?

Thanks
It was a stock harness that CPW attempted to mod for my needs . Ecm I believe is a e38 ecm. Trans has the harness built into the engine harness and is ran by a tcm.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Launching!

It was a stock harness that CPW attempted to mod for my needs . Ecm I believe is a e38 ecm. Trans has the harness built into the engine harness and is ran by a tcm.
Thanks for the information but I'm not sure I understand. Can you please tell me what your vehicle the harness and ECM came from originally? I thought the TCM on a 4L80e was inside the transmission housing. Can you please snap a pic of the TCM your referring to?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the information but I'm not sure I understand. Can you please tell me what your vehicle the harness and ECM came from originally? I thought the TCM on a 4L80e was inside the transmission housing. Can you please snap a pic of the TCM your referring to?
My 80e has a external tcm. The original harness used was t he stock 2008 Cadillac escalade harness that was (attempted) to be modded for my needs including adding the wires and connector for the 4l80e since the caddy didn't come with a 80e.

And I couldn't tell you the ecm original vehicle. I got it from my tuner .
Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Launching!

My 80e has a external tcm. The original harness used was t he stock 2008 Cadillac escalade harness that was (attempted) to be modded for my needs including adding the wires and connector for the 4l80e since the caddy didn't come with a 80e.

And I couldn't tell you the ecm original vehicle. I got it from my tuner .
Thanks for that info. Why do you say attempted? It's done and works right? Also, did your tuner say not to use the Escalade ECM? Why did you go with an E38 ECM? Thanks for your help
Old 02-15-2015, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for that info. Why do you say attempted? It's done and works right? Also, did your tuner say not to use the Escalade ECM? Why did you go with an E38 ECM? Thanks for your help
If you read the last page you'll understand why I use attempted to my harness. I have now purchased a new harness due to the fact I had so many issues with what they didn't do to the harness.

As for the ecm, I'm not one that knows what goes with what that's why I left it up to the tuner to figure that out.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, not much of a update but finally going to get work started on this car starting this weekend. My buddy is nice enough to help with the stuff that needs to be done.

-Engine harness swap
-battery relocated to trunk
-fix gauges
-finish my ugly eBay CAI setup

On top of this, we will have the GN rear pulled and it is getting fixed by a local shop. So they will dismantle it completely, put it in a vice and straighten the tubes. If tubes need replacing, so be it but they will have it all good to go for me along with setting me up with my ls1 rear brakes.

And just because I havent had any updates on this, I had to post these videos just to ease the patience til there IS actually updates. Enjoy!

Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

What oil pan did you switch to?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sube
What oil pan did you switch to?
Autokraft pan. With my setback plates, it fits with LOADS of room from the cradle. So if you have stock location mounts, you will still have tons of room.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Right on, I've read through your whole thread and I think I'll be doing what you did: 1" inch setback plates, Texas Speed SS longtube headers, and maybe the Autokraft oil pan since you said you had more room. I already have an f-body LS1 though which means I have the F-body oil pan and the F-body front accessories. I plan on using my T-56 transmission also. I have a LS1 RX7 that I swapped, but now I need something with 4 seats since my daughter was born lol. How tight was the F-body pan, and did you have any issues making your exhaust with the Texas Speed headers?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sube
Right on, I've read through your whole thread and I think I'll be doing what you did: 1" inch setback plates, Texas Speed SS longtube headers, and maybe the Autokraft oil pan since you said you had more room. I already have an f-body LS1 though which means I have the F-body oil pan and the F-body front accessories. I plan on using my T-56 transmission also. I have a LS1 RX7 that I swapped, but now I need something with 4 seats since my daughter was born lol. How tight was the F-body pan, and did you have any issues making your exhaust with the Texas Speed headers?
refrain from using the ls1 oil pan. Even with the setback plates the front corners of the sum of the oil pan just about rested on the engine cradle. As for the headers there are loads of room to get exhaust work done with a collectors are. even the driver side that comes out on an angle still has a good amount of room to the frame rail.

Quick Reply: 1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap