Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Chevelle LQ4 Build

Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1968 Chevelle LQ4 Build

Well guys here is my 1968 Chevelle/Malibu originally 307/th350 that was later converted to 350/th350. I've owned this car for over a year and a half. I originally posted my build over at Chevelles.com forum http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...415&highlight= but think it may now be better suited for here. My plan is to make a weekend cruiser/daily driver with power no plans of boost so I felt the 6.0 was the way to go.

What it looked like the day I bought

Some of the metal work done

What it looked like the day I brought it home from the body shop

Currently I've been gathering parts for the swap. I was able to get a long block LQ4/80E for pretty cheap. I was also able to find a good deal on a f-body oil pan, Dirty Dingo slider mounts and I'm still undecided on whether I should use the Doug or Hooker swap headers. Right now I'm looking for an accessory drive, wire harness/pcm and a few other parts.

I plan to redo all the suspension with UMI parts starting with the rear and working my way up front.

As of right now the car is sitting but hopefully I can get this project started soon. Any and all info/suggestions is helpful thanks in advance.

Last edited by Spec134; 04-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice. 68 is my favorite year.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on your choice of intake, the entire truck accessory drive will work with the exception of the PS pulley. Some have indicated that they had to notch the crossmember for the AC, but I did not. I used Dougs headers and mount kit. If yuoou need photos or part numbers I can supply.
You will really enjoy the LS. Driveability is so improved, and when you tackle the suspension and brakes it will be like driving a new car.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Chevelles.com is good for anything chevelle-specific but when it comes to swap a lot of those guys have no idea what they are talking about (there are exceptions of course) and some are just plain hostile about it. Which version of the slider mounts do you have? The first run were pretty terrible, the most recent are quite nice. The hooker headers seem fine to me, plus they have the O2 bungs in them which is cool. I think someone in the classifieds is selling some pretty cheap (or at least cheap as far as headers go). Just based on my own experience I'd try to find an accessory drive off of a newer vehicle and get it all together or just buy new parts using a coupon at advance or something, code "VISA" takes $50 off $150 which comes in handy. The downside is it might not be oem quality, but at least there is a warranty. Tradeoffs are everywhere, but such is life.
Are you using the horse shoe shifter? I don't recall if that was an option for that year but if you do shiftworks has the stuff to update your console. If you are still working on this next summer I could probably sell you my setup when I swap to a stick.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Depending on your choice of intake, the entire truck accessory drive will work with the exception of the PS pulley. Some have indicated that they had to notch the crossmember for the AC, but I did not. I used Dougs headers and mount kit. If yuoou need photos or part numbers I can supply.
You will really enjoy the LS. Driveability is so improved, and when you tackle the suspension and brakes it will be like driving a new car.
My plan is to try and locate a good deal on a set of LS3/L92 heads and L76/LS3 intake because I've been told that is a great setup that could easily get over 450+ hp and 450+ tq on a LQ4. I'm hoping that when I'm done it will drive like a the newer camaro. I would appreciate any photos and part # you can provide. Thanx

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Chevelles.com is good for anything chevelle-specific but when it comes to swap a lot of those guys have no idea what they are talking about (there are exceptions of course) and some are just plain hostile about it. Which version of the slider mounts do you have? The first run were pretty terrible, the most recent are quite nice. The hooker headers seem fine to me, plus they have the O2 bungs in them which is cool. I think someone in the classifieds is selling some pretty cheap (or at least cheap as far as headers go). Just based on my own experience I'd try to find an accessory drive off of a newer vehicle and get it all together or just buy new parts using a coupon at advance or something, code "VISA" takes $50 off $150 which comes in handy. The downside is it might not be oem quality, but at least there is a warranty. Tradeoffs are everywhere, but such is life.
Are you using the horse shoe shifter? I don't recall if that was an option for that year but if you do shiftworks has the stuff to update your console. If you are still working on this next summer I could probably sell you my setup when I swap to a stick.
I've come to realize that Chevelles.com is primarily for the purist. I do plan to use the horse shoe shifter. More than likely I will still be working on the car by next year. Unfortunately don't really have as much time to spend on the car as I would like.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

I found a local wrecking yard that expects to have a 08 Silverado coming in this Friday so I hope I can get the entire accessory setup then.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

this should be a good swap, i'll be watching this one.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a basic short list of the parts I used.
Frame mounts #3379 www.carpartsdiscount.com
Headers Dougs
Engine adapters Dougs SK100
Motor mounts Energy Suspension 3-1117G
If you are using truck accessory mounts you will most likely need to change PS pulley to Dorman 300-123.

Don't waste time with the truck pan, it wont work out well. I used Canton 13-274 with pickup 13-275 and filter mount 22-631.
There are a host of others as well that won't require cutting the k-member.
I can supply pictures if you are interested.

I also used all UMI suspension components as well as QA1 coil overs at all 4 corners. I prototyped new mounts relocating the rear shocks to the forward side of the axle. I can probably find the patterns if you are going that far.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking very good! Can't wait to see the progress.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I'm still debating on whether or not I should find a b-body fuel tank or buy one of the spectra tanks w/tanks inc. in-tank setup. I'm really trying not to modify the trunk pan since I just replaced it a few months ago.

Also I'm still looking for an accessory drive the wrecking yard fell thru. Because I'm still fairly new I'm unable to post to the Classified section so if anybody happens to have an accessory drive to sale please PM me. Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my build in my signature. I ran the tanks inc setup in my stock fuel tank. It 5-6 months old now and still working great.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you run the spectra tank swap the fuel pump out for sure, the one that comes stock is garbage.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

All of the options offer their own unique advantages. I chose the B body due to initial cost, OEM replacement parts, plastic construction and extra volume. Cutting the trunk pan was outweighed by the advantages. I am in the swap about $150.00 including the BBK pump.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retrofuel has an A body tank coming out sooner or later. 2010 Camaro pump, etc.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you read through my build I used the stock tank with sump. It was fairly new for the old BBC so I didn't want to buy another tank. Been in and running since March and have had no problems with cornering or anything of the sort.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

I think I will go with the Spectra Tank w/Tanks Inc. setup. On Rock Auto they have the tank for a little over $100 dollars for the tank so I think I will get it from there. I did plan to use my old tank but all the local rad shops are charging more than it would cost to buy a new one to clean out the old tank.

Last edited by Spec134; 09-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

the tank only? that cheap? by any chance could u post a link, i couldn't find it. i have a 71 monte and i will also be going that route
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

cancel that, i found it
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had excellent luck with the tanks inc kit. I provide a complete kit for them with all lines and fittings needed to hook it all up.

http://www.nastyperformance.com/shop...fuel-line-kit/
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

While cleaning out my storage closet came across a set of C5 calipers (front & rear), rotors (front & rear) and pads. The rotors are used but will be a nice temporary upgrade.

I got the setup for $200 a few months ago

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 Chevelle LQ4 Build