Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen Trans Am LS1/T56 swap Questions

Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Default 2nd Gen Trans Am LS1/T56 swap Questions

Hi guys,

I will just start this off by saying that there are many good articles out there, but I haven't seemed to find a really good 2nd gen F-body build thread. Not sure if there was one out there. I will be getting a complete 99 Z28 for my donor car, so I think that I will be able to have many of the parts that may nickle and dime me to death. I plan on using the Camaro for as much as I possibly can and selling the rest.

The plans for now

I have a few specific questions.

1. Where is the best place to get a mount for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder? I have seen them before, but where is the best place to get them?

2. Will I be able to take the Camaro's fuel pump and graft it into my fuel tank sucessfully?

3. I plan on getting Vintage Air in the future and currently I don't have any HVAC system in the car. My question is will I be able to use the Camaro's stock AC compressor with the Vintage Air system?

4. I currently have my stock 400 engine mounts that are the clamshell design. I plan on using the Dirty Dingo engine mounts, which use the clamshell design to mount the engine to. My question is are all the clamshell mounts the same, just use a different mounting location? When I go the Energy Suspension site, they list the mounts for something like 60's-85.

5. Can I use the stock Z28 Aluminum drive shaft on my 1976 Trans Am with the stock 10 bolt rear end? It will probably need to be shortened, but would it work?

That is all for now. Thank you in advance.

Ryan

Last edited by ryeguy2006a; 09-14-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I have been looking at some swap headers and for right now most are out of my budget for the time being, but I came across this company. They sell Stainless Steel shorty headers for $189.50 plus shipping. It sounds too good to be true. Has anyone tried them?

http://www.racinginnovationandsupply...ers_p_184.html
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Also, I have been looking at some swap headers and for right now most are out of my budget for the time being, but I came across this company. They sell Stainless Steel shorty headers for $189.50 plus shipping. It sounds too good to be true. Has anyone tried them?

http://www.racinginnovationandsupply...ers_p_184.html
The primaries are way to small IMO. Dynatech has cheap swap headers but they are a little low.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the hyderolic master brackets for 69's but I just mounted mine right to the firewall.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I will have to check out the options.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
The primaries are way to small IMO. Dynatech has cheap swap headers but they are a little low.
Really? I thought that the 1 3/4 headers were more for racing applications. I only plan on street driving the car. Maybe an autocross event or possibly a quarter mile here and there. Mostly street car though. I don't think I will see more than 400 rwhp. Should I be good at that level to have the 1 5/8" headers as posted above?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

I used pacesetter 98-02 longtubes on mine. fit just fine think they are 1 3/4. the alum drive shaft was too short on mine. had to use the one from the second gen and have it shortened. mine is a 1981 ta with a ls1 and a 4l60e
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You had to modify them the pacesetters to fit right?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

After doing some research, I think that I will just invest the money in the Dyna Tech headers, so I won't have to worry about the headers fitting.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Launching!

2. Will I be able to take the Camaro's fuel pump and graft it into my fuel tank sucessfully?
It depends on how much work you want to do. I like the factory pump modules.
Here is a Camaro in tank, but not with the stock pump.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-tank-mod.html
Here is my stock pump into a Corvette (post 35). Take a look at both, you may be able to combine parts of both to use your Camaro pump.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...t-build-2.html
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to try the kit that is made by Vetteworks, they make a ring and lock in order to use the 98-02 fbody fuel pump.

Those are two great sites though, if this doesn't work I will probably go with the Tanks inc. unit. Great build by the way.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

the stock aluminum z28 drive shaft is too short, i wanted to use one in my swap but just shortened my factory drive shaft instead.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by j99fbody
the stock aluminum z28 drive shaft is too short, i wanted to use one in my swap but just shortened my factory drive shaft instead.
Thanks for the info, I will just do the same and have my stock driveshaft shortened.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

I will just start this off by saying that there are many good articles out there, but I haven't seemed to find a really good 2nd gen F-body build thread. Not sure if there was one out there. I will be getting a complete 99 Z28 for my donor car, so I think that I will be able to have many of the parts that may nickle and dime me to death. I plan on using the Camaro for as much as I possibly can and selling the rest.

The plans for now

I have a few specific questions.

1. Where is the best place to get a mount for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder? I have seen them before, but where is the best place to get them?
If you want to do as little fabrication as possible, I'd go with the Detroit Speed mount. I've got one for sale, if you're interested. PM me. However, you might also want to consider a little bit of fabrication. I detailed my process and the reasons I did it, in this thread here.

2. Will I be able to take the Camaro's fuel pump and graft it into my fuel tank successfully?

3. I plan on getting Vintage Air in the future and currently I don't have any HVAC system in the car. My question is will I be able to use the Camaro's stock AC compressor with the Vintage Air system?
Unless your AC compressor is in known good shape, I'd probably keep the AC system all Vintage Air. I have a non-AC Camaro roller in the Classifieds that also came with an AC dash and duct work. It doesn't look like it's too crazy complicated to swap out. If there's someone near you with all the stuff, you might want to consider going all factory, especially if you're trying to save $$$.

4. I currently have my stock 400 engine mounts that are the clamshell design. I plan on using the Dirty Dingo engine mounts, which use the clamshell design to mount the engine to. My question is are all the clamshell mounts the same, just use a different mounting location? When I go the Energy Suspension site, they list the mounts for something like 60's-85.
GM used the same mounts for many years, which is why there is such a spread. I actually went with the Energy Suspension mounts and welded them in. They can be bolted in as well.

5. Can I use the stock Z28 Aluminum drive shaft on my 1976 Trans Am with the stock 10 bolt rear end? It will probably need to be shortened, but would it work?
It is actually too short by about 4 inches. Action Machine, in South Bend IN made an impressive aluminum drive shaft for me that used the factory rear end yoke (3R U-joints, not 1350s). It was $375+delivery. In a pinch, you could have the factory 2nd gen shaft shortened.

Regarding headers, I went with Edelbrock full-length headers and didn't have any fitment problems. My car is also lowered for road racing, and the header never seem to get smacked like I've experienced with cheaper one. They are tucked up underneath pretty well. I also used a Corvette 2-piece batwing oil pan in my car, as all the other options made me nervous about hitting stuff.

Last edited by 1981TA; 09-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the tips! I can't wait to get my donor car and get this swap started.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck! I hope to get mine going again. I did a bunch of work, got laid off and lost funds and i interest to keep building it so i sold the ls1 and t56. Now i regret but a friend is going to sell me a ls1 and 4l60 and i will continue on with the project. Hope it goes well. Another option for mount plates i used carshop 1 inch setback plates with fbody pan and accesories and everything line up perfect. Good thing i kept them instead of letting them go with the lowballer. Anyways, good luck with your build. Im going to start stacking up parts again..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Trans Am LS1/T56 swap Questions