Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default School me please.

I'm completely new to these motors. And I don't know what to look for or what I'm looking at Or what to ask. I just got a 6.0 (12551364) and a 4l65e (4kzd) and I want to install it in a 63 nova wagon.
How do i find out what car and year the motor n tranny came Out of. I want to modify my harness my self. But don't know what diagram I need to fallow. iv seen a bunch on this great site. And it makes my head spin. So any info that would let me see the light would be great.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Don't be shy. Feel free to help.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you read the stickies and the nova build threads and have any specific questions after that I'm sure someone will try to help you, but 99% of people here are not going to try if it looks like you aren't either. This was the first result when I googled "ls1 wiring harness info", it's a pretty often-referenced site and from I understand is pretty useful http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Launching!

6.0 sounds like it could have only came from a truck.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same ol same ol Leon Phelps GENIOUS! Possibly from a van too.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. I'll look on the nova thread. Thanks for the replys guys.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

In addition to the information here there are a couple books available at Amazon.com on swapping LS motors into just about everything. Those make a good reference to partner with what you find here. Is your block aluminum or cast iron? What manifold does it have? Where did you get it? Did the seller have info on the motor? Do you have any pictures of the motor to share? All those things can help discover what it came form.

This book is highly recommended:
Amazon Amazon

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 09-30-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

I'll look into Those books.
As for the block. It's cast iron block with aluminum heads. The guy I got The motor From told me he took It out from a Tahoe. But he didn't tell me what year it was. The computer I got has serv. 12586242 - serv. 12583660
As for the heads. This is the number I found on the side of the head. 0401415546822319. I tried looking up this number. And I couldn't find anything.
My goal for the car. Make it driver and To have 400-450 hp to the wheels. Iv been reading allot of builds on how to do that. But don't know which one to chose. One says to
Use l92 heads. Or say to Use stock heads and just port them.
I would love to use the drive by cable set up. How do I do that. And which intake do you guy recommend to use.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Looking at the top of the head there will be a number such as 317 in the lower right corner. This can help quickly reference what motor you may have(if it is still stock). i don't remember GM putting a 6.0 in a tahoe. It should be a 4.8/5.3. If you can look on the block right behind the power steering pump and it will say 6.0 or 4.8/5.3.

Either way these motors have amazing power capabilities with out doing a lot to them. Good luck with your swap and post pics.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You could probably sell your heads and buy some l92 heads for what porting would cost, or just run what you have, I suspect you'll never notice the difference anyway, as if it's just a driver and you aren't spinning it over 5k it probably won't matter. Looking around the site more you'll see that people (myself included) spend way too much $$$ on things that make little if any real-world differences in our cars. A rear gear change will make a bigger difference than heads for driving around town. If it were me, I'd get some l92 heads, ls3 intake (do not pay a million bucks for these, there are take-offs everywhere, I got a complete one with rails and gaskets for $300 shipped) cam it and call it a day. Simple and easy, but enough work to feel like you are doing something. But that's just IMO, of course.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Second Chucks thoughts.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet thanks for the info guys.
I looked at my heads and I have 317 heads. From what I found around the net. That their good for forced induction. I'm planning on keeping my motor naturally aspirated. Should I keep these heads and get them machined. Or sell them and get a set of l92 heads? Which cam do you guys recommend to hit my goal of 450hp to the wheels?
As for intake. Does a ls3 intake come with a drive by cable throttle body? And do I have to do anything to switch from wire to cable. Do i need to do anything with the computer or anything? I'm sorry for dumb questions. But like I said. I'm completely new to these motors. And I don't know what I'm looking at.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Also, once you find out what year the engine is if you have the 24x reluctor motor, which you very well may have, another option woudl be to save yourself the hassle and get a PSI Conversion harness...Jon posted above. It is a VERY well put together harness and is basically plug and play. There are very few wires to hook up and no guess work involved. The directions are straightforward. I have an Fbody Harness of his running a 58X reluctor LY6 with a Lingenfelter conversion box. It is also running a 5th gen Camaro pump in my gas tank.

For the $500 or so you'll plunk down...it is worth it.

If you like doing wiring and want to learn how to dissect the harness, then definitely do it yourself. DId my first few swaps that way...PSI's saved me time.

Good luck with whichever route you take!
Dave

Quick Reply: School me please.