Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

So I got the rear end out of the truck, thanks to my engine hoist!
I pulled the rotors and calipers (they're on my bench)

Then I took the cover off

At least the guy I got it from was telling the truth, its a 3.42:1 Torsen-Zexel unit. Now I just need to pull the axles and remove the backing plates/parking brakes. Then I'll sell the gears, posi and axles I kind of want to save them for my S10 but since I don't really know what is in my S10 or how to set up a rear end I'll just get rid of them.

Update:
I got the axles pulled, and the backing plates off last night

Jessica

Last edited by 78_elky; 05-09-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Got the rear parts painted, Still looking to pick up some new wheels so they'll fit.

And I'm still scrounging parts for the engine. I almost had a set of headers and a Camaro accessory drive setup but they both sold before I saw them. Ordering a trans cross member hopefully in a few days though.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Got some wheels and tires the other night off craigslist! They're not really my style but they do make the car look a little more modern and less like a drag racer. Plus they're 17" so the brakes will fit.

Still collecting parts but getting closer every day!
Jessica
Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to order a crossmember. Go with the summit racing/gforce crossmember. Its a little pricey but with all the "kits" and "bolt on" parts I've got for my regal swap. Like a 2 gauge wire kit that had 4 gauge fittings or the Jegs battery cut off push/pull kit that had course female threads and fine thread hardware. The crossmember was the best money I've spent. Its a heavy SOB and has the duel humps for the exhaust. I could have thrown it at the car and it lined right up with my factory frame holes and 4l80e. I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chub406
If you are going to order a crossmember. Go with the summit racing/gforce crossmember. Its a little pricey but with all the "kits" and "bolt on" parts I've got for my regal swap. Like a 2 gauge wire kit that had 4 gauge fittings or the Jegs battery cut off push/pull kit that had course female threads and fine thread hardware. The crossmember was the best money I've spent. Its a heavy SOB and has the duel humps for the exhaust. I could have thrown it at the car and it lined right up with my factory frame holes and 4l80e. I couldn't be happier.
I saw that one, I also talked to Iceman on Maliburacing and he makes Xmembers out of chromoly and he has the frame extensions for the early g late a body cars like mine. I have his double adjustable rear trailing arms and they are really nice and haven't had any problems for the 5 years I've run them. I'll probably go that route because it saves me a few bucks.

If I find another deal on local parts it'll push back my ordering parts again though so who knows.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I almost ordered one of his as well. Ive heard of people that loved them and others hated them. I seen quite a few people that said they bowed like crazy and had trouble with exhaust clearance. With a tranny and stock converter that are 250 lbs. The last thing I wanted on a 9 sec pass was a crossmember flexing like a rubberband. lol I personally don't have experience to speak of. Just what I heard. If you do get it. I would be curious to see how you like it.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chub406
I almost ordered one of his as well. Ive heard of people that loved them and others hated them. I seen quite a few people that said they bowed like crazy and had trouble with exhaust clearance. With a tranny and stock converter that are 250 lbs. The last thing I wanted on a 9 sec pass was a crossmember flexing like a rubberband. lol I personally don't have experience to speak of. Just what I heard. If you do get it. I would be curious to see how you like it.
Oh good to hear! I'll have to do some more research. I'd really like something that will last; considering I want to drive this car when its done.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

It looks like I'm going to go with a G-force or other kind of crossmember. I liked the idea of the light one but it sounds like its a bit of a mess so I'll stick with what others have had luck with.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

So I'm trying to sell the rear end as well as my Camaro and soon I'll post up my 15" wheels and tires I pulled off the El Camino. Hopefully I can get all that out of my way and some more money into the project
Jessica
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Got a great bit of news for anyone still reading this.
I got a set of LS3 heads off the board here with all the rocker arms, hardware, pushrods, and upgraded springs and retainers. They look pretty cool and I couldn't help but throw them on the engine so I could get a look at it.

I'm going to order a new throttle body next and maybe unpack the swap pan I have and install that on the engine.

I am trying to stay positive and think its one small step closer
Jessica
Old 06-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Nice!
What springs did they come with?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stereojnky
Nice!
What springs did they come with?
PRC .675 dual springs
Old 07-09-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Got my new throttle body in the mail the other day, its 92mm I believe.

Nothing else new to report. I'm looking into how to do the accessory drive. I want to run an LS1 water pump I think with the LS1 balance/pulley and then maybe a kwik performance bracket for the alt and p.s. I'm also pricing out just doing all stock stuff. The other idea I had was to just build my own brackets, but thats still up in the air.
Jessica

I almost forgot I pulled the truck pan and put the swap pan on the engine. Inside was pretty brown and carmel-y looking but it was not sludgy at all so that is good
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 PM

I love your build. I have a 78 Elky I'm putting a 5.3 in to get it on the road... Eventually plan either a 5.3 or 6.0 turbo build with a t56 and ford 9".. and lots of mods to handle the turns...
Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by yamahor
I love your build. I have a 78 Elky I'm putting a 5.3 in to get it on the road... Eventually plan either a 5.3 or 6.0 turbo build with a t56 and ford 9".. and lots of mods to handle the turns...
Thanks, your plan sounds pretty awesome! I am saving for a 9" housing to do while I swap the engine. I really don't want to hassle with cutting the driveshaft more than once. I really just want to do a bunch of this all at once.

Unfortunately I am biting off a lot to do the project so it gets a little overwhelming at times. The car runs and drives fine now though so I just take it out when I get too annoyed with collecting parts.

After the engine is in and running I think I'll try to get some more suspension parts. It handles well now but I want it to really hug the road around the corners
Old 07-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Teching In

man your car is looking good
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by randywyatt2000
man your car is looking good
Thanks!
Jessica
Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

I've been distracted with the S10 lately. Its my daily driver and I'm trying to fix all the weird stuff the previous owner did/didn't do/removed/broke/added. Mostly it needs A/C and a new (unsmashed) heater box and the cooling system flushed. So its getting a ton of stuff done to it in the next few weeks if I can find the time.

Hopefully I can get my Camaro sold and that will help get more things done on the El Camino fast.
Jessica

--Also, what are people doing with the steam lines, I've got the piping that came off the LQ4 but it won't fit under the LS3 manifold. Do I just block off the rear ones and only vent the front, or is there some parts I need to get. The knock sensor wiring is also hard to fit under the manifold but I can't really move that.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great build so far, but FYI your motor adapters are on backwards. the pointed end should go twards the front of the engine. I just dropped an LS motor in my g-body, i had them on backwards like you did too, i will be the first to tell you, it wont even be remotely close to fitting with them backwards!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Great to know! I had no where to store them that I wouldn't misplace them so I just put them on by hand...now I'll run out and switch them around
Jessica

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build