Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas tank / fuel pump solution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank / fuel pump solution?

79 z28.. what is everyone doing for the gas tank / fuel pump situation?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209472

I'm going to be doing the vette works kit in the above post. Presently, my 2nd gen tank is sumped in the rear, with an external pump. The tanks inc is a popular kit with a lot of members.

Last edited by reedld; 09-28-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Sumpped my stock tank. external fuel pump, and regulated return
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I,ve seen later model tanks swapped in these days , such as the roadmaster, etc tanks to el camino, impala tanks to other g-body.This gets you a lighter rust free tank with factory designed parts, baffles, & pump can be swapped between tbi, multiport & aftermarket.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

i use a 12 gallon poly drop sump fuel cell mounted in the trunk with an external pump. i went the easy way. i wanted dual 8an fitting outlets for my main pump and one for the no2 pump. also needed an 8an return line for my regulated return fuel setup. its nice and has a 90ohm sender so my fuel guage works like stock. i realy like the setup and like the fact that it is lightwieght clean and easy to clean if need be.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 79 and 73 Camaro used the stock tank. No baffling and Bosch 044 external pump. I just make sure I keep the tank some what full. No problems at all.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jlynch799
Sumpped my stock tank. external fuel pump, and regulated return
How do you sump your oem tank?
You talking adding a piece on by welding it?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Just got off the phone with the Vetteworks guy and he said he has a new kit coming out in a week or so using the new gen v camaro pump.. only needs a 6" depth.. slicker than his previous kit.. Waiting on it.. cost should be around 325-370 complete
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellesone
How do you sump your oem tank?
You talking adding a piece on by welding it?
Correct, a sump is a welded on piece to the bottom of the tank, facing the rear. This way even under hard acceleration there is never a chance to starve the engine of fuel....unless you are totally empty
Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superdave84
Correct, a sump is a welded on piece to the bottom of the tank, facing the rear. This way even under hard acceleration there is never a chance to starve the engine of fuel....unless you are totally empty
Thank you.. and then an external pump used . correct?..
Do I have to run new lines no matter what? This is a 4.8 with a cam.. nothing to serious as far as power goes.. stock injectors will be used as well
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Thank you.. and then an external pump used . correct?..
Do I have to run new lines no matter what? This is a 4.8 with a cam.. nothing to serious as far as power goes.. stock injectors will be used as well
Yes, then you could use external, and yes you could put internal pump in the sump. Electric pumps don't pull very well they push fuel.The whole idea is to keep fuel in pump for your engine, but the fuel also cools the pump to keep it from overheating. Here is my version of in tank pump - post 35
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...get-build.html The factory in tank pump modules have check valves to keep fuel in the "can" and also the return from the regulator goes to the can. This keeps the pump supplied, but also covers the pump with fuel keeping it cooler and sometimes quieter. Most of the modules have pressure regulators built in, with an external you will need the Vette filter/regulator, or a regulator and return on the fuel rail. Your stock 3/8" lines will easily supply the 4.8
Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

I think I am going to use the vetteworks kit, should be done in a week he said and the price seems fair. I'm not the greatest fab guy so welding a sump and doing those things correctly are probably better left for the more experienced instead of me..LOL
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got off the phone with the Vetteworks guy and he said he has a new kit coming out in a week or so using the new gen v camaro pump.. only needs a 6" depth.. slicker than his previous kit.. Waiting on it.. cost should be around 325-370 complete
I wonder if it is similar to the one from Retrofuel:

Last edited by 66 BADBOY; 09-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
Yes, then you could use external, and yes you could put internal pump in the sump. Electric pumps don't pull very well they push fuel.The whole idea is to keep fuel in pump for your engine, but the fuel also cools the pump to keep it from overheating. Here is my version of in tank pump - post 35
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...get-build.html The factory in tank pump modules have check valves to keep fuel in the "can" and also the return from the regulator goes to the can. This keeps the pump supplied, but also covers the pump with fuel keeping it cooler and sometimes quieter. Most of the modules have pressure regulators built in, with an external you will need the Vette filter/regulator, or a regulator and return on the fuel rail. Your stock 3/8" lines will easily supply the 4.8
I agree here, except that anywhere your lines are rubber (and not metal) you should switch over to higher pressure fuel line. Regular lines will hold up for a while, but eventually a break will happen, and you really don't want that kind of trouble.

Quick Reply: gas tank / fuel pump solution?