Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a 5.3, NOW WHAT?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 5.3, NOW WHAT?

HEllo all. Great site, I am new to this and the LS1 game.

I go a great price on a 5.3 (2004, 05 06 07) Silverado engine. IT has last than 55,000 miles for a few hundred dollars. It even has the maintenance records. Problem is, it is stripped. Nothing but a long block with truck intake.

It is going into a 1968 Camaro. I thought I knew what I was doing from reading several threads and lots of research. But now I am leary. Here are the questions:

I was looking at buying a Silverado computer for the years listed for the truck, but the connector colors from what I see on Ebay (green and ?), differ from those on after market painless kits for instance (red and blue).

Since I dont have an ecm or wiring harness can I buy a computer with the red and blue and have it work (after reprogramming)?

There is no throttle body on my engine. Which do I buy? Fly by wire or cable?

I think i got the reluctor count thing figured out, those were my main two questions.

Any suggestions on what pulleys/crank/harmonic balancer to go with, since I dont have one on the engine now? I was think the F-body harmonic balancer and accompany items, using Kwik brackets.

Any and all advice, suggestion would be really greatly appreciated, as well as answers to my two questions that are stumping me.

Thanks
Rob
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Gm accessory kits. Ls1/6 kits, ls2 kits, with it or without ac.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

I believe that the red/blue and green/??? harnesses correspond to gen 3 and gen 4 engines. You probably need to pin down an exact year so you get the right one.

2004 and up should all be the electronic throttle style. I think you can convert to cable with the older PCM, but I'm not positive.

Any accessory drive can work. Read some build threads to see what fits best in your chassis. I'm not familiar with that particular swap.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trick is to try to get everything as a package off the same engine so you know it's compatible. All my stuff is 03 silverado and it's DBW and has green/blue connectors. repinning and reprogramming can be done, I just think after doing all my stuff all myself, with only some advice from people here on the forum, It's just easier to get it all from the same vehicle(i.e.- computer, harness, tb and gas pedal and tac). read through my thread and see how I got mine working.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you want easier or cheaper? Easier - buy the holley efi stuff or a harness/ comp from a sponsor and an f body accessory set up. For other brackets I'd go with dirty dingo before kwik any day. Cheaper would be to piece together things one at a time in the classifieds or at advance auto with a coupon, but then you waste a lot of time trying to see if X works with Y and things like that.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carshop motor mounts with the 1 1/2 inch setback put my motor in the exact spot of the sbc in my 81 camaro, nice and thick too
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now what, beat on it!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 PM

I appreciate all the input, suggestions and private messages, very cool of the members here on the site.

Since I already own the engine, since it was such a good deal, I guess what I was asking, would be any harness and a computer form a 2005 Silverado should work. My engine is from a 2005 Silverado.

Any experiences out there with the painless wiring harness? I know they are expensive, though seems very competent.

How about with the Kwik Performance brackets?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

If the engine is from an 05, then the 05 harness/pcm should work. Just beware of 4.3 stuff.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Any 03-07 5.3 harness or PCM with green/blue should work if you want to keep drive by wire. Otherwise you can retrofit to the red/blue PCM and have drive by cable. Lt1swap.com has a great guide on what PCMs to use for various applications.

I followed the pinning off lt1swap.com on my harness. I have roughly 8 hours of wiring into it now! But I'm a perfectionist and want a show quality finished product. If I wanted easy and functional I would have gotten a new harness from painless or one of the many vendors on here.

Acc drives all depend on what your intentions with the motor are and hood clearance. If you want it to be functional and have the room then truck acc are everywhere. If you have less hood clearance and want to use a ls1/ls6 intake then use an f body or corvette drive.

Btw. Is this the iron block or aluminum block version?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Since you dont have the tac module/tac harness/pedal/throttle body, I would recommend going with drive by cable. It will be less costly and give you the same performance. If you are going drive by cable, get a 411 PCM (red/blue) and throttle body. Keep in mind that if you change to a car intake the position of the MAP sensor is different and the injector connections are different. That said, if you dont want to buy new, look for an f-body harness to alleviate having to cut and splice new injector connectors on the harness. If you are sticking with a trucki intake, get a 99-mid 03 truck harness. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have a 5.3, NOW WHAT?