Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the prepation stage of my future engine swap, what all can I remove?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In the prepation stage of my future engine swap, what all can I remove?

*preparation (it's after 5 a.m. I'm tired)

So I bought a 2nd car that gets WAY better gas mileage as I still have 2 more years of college left and driving to the city 60+ miles each day so that car will pay for itself by the time I graduate.

So I put my '98 T/A on the back burner by parking it and took registration/insurance off it as I won't be driving it for a while now so it's my project. It currently has the LS1 with automatic transmission. I was inspired by R, AF (search google on dieselplace or on here) to eventually swap in a 6.5 Diesel. This thread isn't about diesel swaps so let's not hate about my decision to want to do this swap like RAF. I plan on going to manual too so the automatic transmission is going out too.

So basically, what all can I remove now so I can sell off the engine and transmission and whatever else is not needed for when the funds and tons of time become available to complete this 6.5 turbo diesel with 6 speed project? Also what is the fair market price for an LS1 engine, same for the automatic transmission, and then a price for both together? It has 159k miles and ran perfectly fine with me as I daily drove it the only thing I noticed ever wrong was the oxygen sensors were all out (had codes ran).
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine that just about everything under the hood could go. Engine, harness, ECM (may be flashable for the diesel OS but I can't say for sure), fuel pump, most of the exhaust, etc.

All I could see you needing is maybe some emissions gear if you're keeping any. I'm not sure how diesel EVAP systems work.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

If I was going to spend time and effort on a diesel swap I would look into a duramax swap. The 6.5 just didn't have the power or fuel mileage.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
I'd imagine that just about everything under the hood could go. Engine, harness, ECM (may be flashable for the diesel OS but I can't say for sure), fuel pump, most of the exhaust, etc.

All I could see you needing is maybe some emissions gear if you're keeping any. I'm not sure how diesel EVAP systems work.
I would think I would need to keep the ECM for controlling things like some of the electronics that aren't related to the engine right even though I'll probably need the diesels ecm?

Originally Posted by DirtyDirk
If I was going to spend time and effort on a diesel swap I would look into a duramax swap. The 6.5 just didn't have the power or fuel mileage.
Search up RAF on here or on diesel place, or just google 6.5 camaro to be quicker. Anyways the Duramax isn't going to fit realistically (I'm wanting to keep my ram air hood and not a ridiculous cowl hood and even...look at how tall it is). He was doing 14s in the quarter and 30 mpg last I checked. Regardless it's the swap I plan on doing especially as the cost is going to be a lot less than a Duramax, if it once again fit easily, and so forth.

Also I don't have a garage and the T/A is on gravel. So..is it possible to take the engine apart without dropping it and then reassemble it outside the car so I can then sell it?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

The ECM only controls the engine, trans, AC, EVAP, etc. It has no control over the rest of the car. The diesel ECM should be able to control everything you need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the prepation stage of my future engine swap, what all can I remove?