Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Camaro SS IRS going into my Nova

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2011 Camaro SS IRS going into my Nova

This is the first installment toward my awd system and to completely modernize the Nova.

First Problem is that its too wide, Factory nova rear is 59 1/2" and this one is 66 3/4. So either i need to widen my quarters like widebody/trans am racing style. Or shorten my cvs and have all the connecting components shortened or custom made.

Plus side to widening quarters is that i can run up to 13" tires if widened the needed 2" per side and i wont need to mini tub my car.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the wide-body look on 3rd gen Novas. There are a few examples on the PT website; let me know if you want links. I think if you are going through the effort of putting IRS out back, you may as well make the car noticeably different from the outside. You will probably end up removing a lot of sheet metal anyway to get that subframe under the rear.

Have you looked at the customshop's IFS using Trailblazer suspension?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about a higher positive offset wheel?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I like the wide-body look on 3rd gen Novas. There are a few examples on the PT website; let me know if you want links. I think if you are going through the effort of putting IRS out back, you may as well make the car noticeably different from the outside. You will probably end up removing a lot of sheet metal anyway to get that subframe under the rear.

Have you looked at the customshop's IFS using Trailblazer suspension?
Yes Links please ive only found one Nova and its the Black nascar one that just has flares..

I havent seen that IFS trailblazer one, i already bought this one. I got it for an amazing price and couldnt pass it up. The price i paid wouldnt have paid for the brembo rotors that are already on this.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chrome_Rust
what about a higher positive offset wheel?
Even with Grand sport or ZR1 wheels with 8.75 backspacing its too far out to fit inside the wells.

Well those wheels are 10,11 and 12" wide.

I currently have 8in wheels with 5.5bs with the 59 1/2 rear end and it has a 3/4in gap to the rolled quarter. Now add 3.25" of rear end each side. no wheel combo will fix this.it would have to be an 8in wheel with 8in backspace
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
Even with Grand sport or ZR1 wheels with 8.75 backspacing its too far out to fit inside the wells.

Well those wheels are 10,11 and 12" wide.

I currently have 8in wheels with 5.5bs with the 59 1/2 rear end and it has a 3/4in gap to the rolled quarter. Now add 3.25" of rear end each side. no wheel combo will fix this.it would have to be an 8in wheel with 8in backspace
What aboutwheels & body widening. Sometimes the best solutions to problems is more than one change.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
What aboutwheels & body widening. Sometimes the best solutions to problems is more than one change.
You are correct, I will have to get a minimum of an 18" wheel to clear the brembo brakes either way.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Narrow the cradle so you can bring all the suspension points inwards and then all you have to do is shorten the axles. Moser or The Drive Shaft Shop can do this easily.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sierrac3_s2000
Narrow the cradle so you can bring all the suspension points inwards and then all you have to do is shorten the axles. Moser or The Drive Shaft Shop can do this easily.
HMMM interesting point, im looking at it now to see what that possibility is. if i cut a section of the cradle out in the back, then cut off that front plate and cut off the sides then weld it back that might work.

I need to figure out the sway bar at that point.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in for the win
Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

This is an awesome idea. I just hope you're crazy enough to actually do it.
What i would do it narrow the center section this way all you have to do is shorted the cv shafts and not mess with changing anything with the suspension which could sacrifice the strength and lead to other problems. Also experiment what different wheel offsets will do, you'd be amazed how much of a difference it can make.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sierrac3_s2000

yeah, i would do this. terrible idea to narrow all the suspension arms.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

oh yes this is happening, and cutting the craddle is the way im going. I can cut out the entire center, front and back and tube new fronts and backs with new diff mounts to width i need, then just shorten the shafts.

Im going buy the wheels i like first then i will know how much to cut out.

Hopefully soon after this i can get an awd system from a tbss and get that going tooo
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you going to use the front for the TBSS? If so one of the front shafts goes through the oil pan.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bo185
Are you going to use the front for the TBSS? If so one of the front shafts goes through the oil pan.
Yeah i know, im gonna have to run a modified tbss oil pan.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Keep in mind that usually you can draw a line in between the upper wishbone pivot, the CV pivot and the lower wishbone pivot. The same is true with a front suspension. The steering rack inner pivots are inline with the inner wishbone pivots and the outer pivots (tie rod ends) will intersect with the upper and lower ball joints. There is usually a slight difference in these points to achieve a desireable result like toe in on bump, camber on bump and so on. I'd be careful with he geometry in relation to cv pivots and control arm pivots. Quite a project you have on your hands.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at S10 front clips or even the astro vans as they 4x4 or AWD. Also the Astro is unibody and that front clip may fit better. Although the TBSS would be better being struts.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

So im still working on buying everything for this swap, Still looking into rear wheels... im wanting 18 to 20"x12" rears..

Since this is my daily driver i need this to be a quick swap so i will prob have to rent a car for a week or two while its down.

Also im swapping the front suspension over to the new camaro one as well. Which is struts and lower control arms instead of a arms. Each side has 2 lower control arms that have 2 lower ball joints that connect to the spindle.

Im going to make upper strut mounts from roll bar tube and make a strut brace that bolts to the Firewall and to the radiator support.

So i will have Brembo brakes front and rear, Struts in front and IRS out back. Should be nice..

Darn christmas and me having 8 going on 9 kids.....
Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought you wanted to do AWD?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I thought you wanted to do AWD?
Since i didnt win the big power ball. This is just another step in that direction. The front hubs can be replaced with ones that have splines and moves the stock nova suspension out of the way...

After this is done which im hoping for late january or feb. I will get the rest of the parts for the awd swap..

Trail Blazer front diff. custom front and rear drive shafts, custom front axles, tb oil pan. And a transfercase.. and since i just swapped from a 4l60e to a th400 but will prob go to a 4l80e im not sure what transfercase im going with. I actually like the idea of having a 4x4 transfercase so i can choose awd or 2wd. Not sure if i would use 4low lol unless i wanted to scare a scoooobaruuu in a 60ft comp ...

Quick Reply: 2011 Camaro SS IRS going into my Nova