Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Fuel Pump Fuse

Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Fuel Pump Fuse

'69 vette with LS1/T56

I was told I needed to find my own constant 12v source for the fuel pump to the relay wiring.

1. Where is an easy place I can steal 12v from other than running a new wire from the battery/starter? Or is that the best place?

2. I was told it should probably be fused at whatever the LS1(stock in tank pump) normally draws. Was wondering what that amperage is and what type of fuse I should have in line?

I'm back from harvest and determined to get this thing started in the next few weeks!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can take the power from any constant 12+v location. It is just what you were thinking, some places are better thean others.

I usually connect it to my alternator, that will give you the Highest voltage of any other location.

2nd best would be the Battery directly. I beleive that your Horn Relay is connected directly to the Battery and also what your alternator connect to, so the Horn Relay is another good source. Also the interior is most likely getting Battery power from the horn relay location.

I would put at lease a 30amp or 40amp fuse, can depend on what your pump will pull.

BC
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed a distribution block on the firewall and tied my alternator, battery and any additional items that needed a +12v battery source. For the fuse, you really need to find out what pump you have and put the correct size as larger is not better in regards to protecting circuits.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
I installed a distribution block on the firewall and tied my alternator, battery and any additional items that needed a +12v battery source. For the fuse, you really need to find out what pump you have and put the correct size as larger is not better in regards to protecting circuits.
It's just a stock LS1 in tank pump, the 2000+ kind that didn't need a return line or something like that.

I was hoping someone on here would know what kind of load it has.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The distribution point on a vette is the horn relay, although the alternator would be fine.
I doubt the pump pulls more than 10 amps. I'm using a 30 amp fuse with 12 g. wire.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine straight off the stock fuse box at the "BATT" terminal. I think it has a 20 amp inline fuse.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Mine is from the battery with 20 amp. I running a walbro 255 inline pump.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -Q-
I took mine straight off the stock fuse box at the "BATT" terminal. I think it has a 20 amp inline fuse.
You wouldn't happen to know what the other spade terminals on the fuse block are do you? I was told one of them should be power in run/crank that I can steal 12v from for the ignition relay....

Hopefully it's not the BATT terminal as i probably can't use that for both the fuel pump and ignition...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Fuel Pump Fuse