Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 camaro 5.3 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 camaro 5.3 swap questions

Hello everyone. This is my first post over here on tech. I mainly stay on performancetrucks. Here's the project car:

I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse with some of these questions.

Goals: budget swap. Drive ability over ascetics. Getting my feet wet with my first swap.

Main concerns are engine fitment in the car. There is a crazy amount of information available for the fuel system, wiring, and pcm modifications. Onto the questions:

1. Can the truck accessories and intake be made to fit? Most people say no, but I have seen a post where a person made everything from a truck fit underhood.

2. If no to question 1, can the truck water pump be made to fit with a ls1 drive by cable intake? Again most people say no, but I have seen pictures where people clock the filler neck on a truck water pump to clear the tb.

3. Will the truck alternator even clear or do I need to just say, "the hell with it" and install all car accessories and intake?

4. Any opinions on transdapt motor mounts?

5. Which is the cheapest oil pan?

6. I've read 98 and 99 Fbody manifold clear. Any confirmation?

Sorry for this post guys, but I see so much conflicting information on the same topics. Maybe this can help me get a clear estimate on what I will have to spend. If I have to drop 2500 on swap parts just to clear everything, then it may not be a swap for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1527637-let-s-see-some-67-69-camaro-ls-swap-engine-bays.html

Here's the link to the swap with the truck intake and accessories. Anybody have more info on this?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK a little update.

I have run across one person who has done a swap with all truck accessories and truck intake. He used doug thorley motor mounts, doug thorley headers, and a GM lsx hot rod oil pan.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the products or this type of swap?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527637

Here's the link to the swap with the truck intake and accessories. Anybody have more info on this?
Here is another Camaro with trck intake and accessories.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1529579-1967-camaro-cammed-5-3-all-truck-intake-brackets.html
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres my budget 1st gen info, it's not complete yet but I did some mock up work.
To me the truck intake will look close to hitting the hood, but I didn't try it yet as I also have an ls1 intake.
Oil pan, ctsv fits just may hang a little beneath the cross member, maybe an inch.
Manifolds, pass side anything can fit...... drivers, fbody hit the steering box, truck fits perfect, Tbss fits also.
Mounts, I'm going to make my own as its easy to do. Solid mounts though.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...fo-1969-a.html
Old 10-25-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Heres my budget 1st gen info, it's not complete yet but I did some mock up work.
To me the truck intake will look close to hitting the hood, but I didn't try it yet as I also have an ls1 intake.
Oil pan, ctsv fits just may hang a little beneath the cross member, maybe an inch.
Manifolds, pass side anything can fit...... drivers, fbody hit the steering box, truck fits perfect, Tbss fits also.
Mounts, I'm going to make my own as its easy to do. Solid mounts though.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...fo-1969-a.html
Thanks for the info man. I'll be keeping up on the build. I want to keep all the truck accessories if I have to swap to a ls1 intake. I've seen a few people do it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, has anyone got a chance to try this oil pan:
http://www.superchevyperformance.com...p/19212593.htm
Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I recall correctly, it is the same pan or about the same as a truck. It will hang below the crossmember. It is cheap but not worth it.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I were you, I would run a Caddilac CTSV oil pan, it provides the most oil pan clearence out of any factory pan for rear sump rwd GM chassis.

Why not run the truck intake if you are more concerned with driveability than looks..

Car Craft or Hot Rod a while back did an intake comparision between aftermarket and stock truck intake and the truck piece delivered nearly identical hp up to 5800 with more torque. If you plan on building a 7500 screamer with a cam, I wouldn't even waste the time on a stock ls1 intake anyway.

What are you ultimate power plans for the setup? A 5.3 or 6.0 with a cam, good set of headers and a solid tune typically yield 320-350 whp hp/tq depending on the tune..
Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=superbean;16845258]If I were you, I would run a Caddilac CTSV oil pan, it provides the most oil pan clearence out of any factory pan for rear sump rwd GM chassis.

Why not run the truck intake if you are more concerned with driveability than looks.

Car Craft or Hot Rod a while back did an intake comparision between aftermarket and stock truck intake and the truck piece delivered nearly identical hp up to 5800 with more torque. If you plan on building a 7500 screamer with a cam, I wouldn't even waste the time on a stock ls1 intake anyway.

What are you ultimate power plans for the setup? A 5.3 or 6.0 with a cam, good set of headers and a solid tune typically yield 320-350 whp hp/tq depending on the tune..[/QUOTE

Power wise, I would be satisfied with 300 whp. A cammed 5.3 should do that no problem. I would love to run the truck intake, but i am concerned with hood clearance issues. Have you had any experience with a ctsv pan or the one I posted?

Quick Reply: 68 camaro 5.3 swap questions