1967 Ford Mustang LQ9 swap - Lil' Heathen

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 Ford Mustang LQ9 swap - Lil' Heathen

67 mustang upgraded with more awesome
photo stream here

Hey guys,

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while, and I have been taking pictures so hopefully I didn't miss much.

For the past year, I've been debating doing this swap and earlier this year I was finally convinced (with some help from tongboy). The idea is pretty simple: cool car, cheap power, solid build.

Cars original stats
  • 351w swapped in when I purchased it
  • C4 automatic transmission
  • 7" v6 rear /sadtrombone
  • Everything else stock 67 mustang

Future planned stats
  • LQ9
  • T56
  • Mustang ii suspension
  • rack and pinion steering
  • disc brakes all around
  • 8.8" ford rear out of explorer

The first part was to swap out the shock towers for a mustang ii suspension. This was mainly because we were thinking the headers would need the room and it made engine mounts really simple.

I got the transmission shipped from Texas and bought the engine from a local truck parts place in town. Slapped em both together without the clutch and test fit to see how we were doing on space and give us an idea on what we are going to have to shoot for in terms of headers.

We also got the brake booster off the 2002 escalade the motor came with and we're going to try to make that work. From what we've seen so far, it looks really, really easy to hook up. Surprisingly so. Widened out the hole the chuck goes through and moved the bracket mounting position to match up with the internal brake pedal support. As of yesterday (11/4/12), this is where we're currently at.

The next steps are to fit the headers getting here on Tuesday and get the engine mounts in. We'll be mocking up the steering shaft until those parts get here. Headers have truly been the hardest part. I've read you can get 351w swap headers and change the flange. Only downside to that is that 351W only went up to 1 3/4 primaries because of spacing on the exhaust ports. So we're actually going to try 351C headers because they have cheaper 2" primary headers. The cleveland had a much different exhaust port angle, so there will be more modification necessary when putting the LS flanges back on.

Check out the photo stream page linked at the top. All of the pictures I've taken are there. Here's some stuff regarding the above stuff:

Swapping out suspension

Engine and fitment

Clutch, pedals and brakes

Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Teching In

No go on the 351C headers. They were too wide at the frame rails. Interesting side note: the truck manifold won't fit as the passenger side shoots right into the frame rail. It's just under an inch over the frame rail.

Found a set of 351w swap headers from Doug's headers that I'm going to try. Should get those today and test fit tonight.

Here's the clearance area on the passenger side:
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Teching In

I don't know if Fbody manifolds would work, but they'll be the closest/cheapest option.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

i like this. more info on the m2 ifs?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Teching In

@bigpat Actually found some 351w swap headers that fit well. Just have to cut off the flange and put on LS flanges. The downside is that they're square port and the tube will need some work to get back some roundness.

@brewster It's an ebay kit similar to what they sell on speedway. The fitment was mediocre and required a decent amount of additional fab, but kind of anticipated that. Nothing crazy though.

We'll probably be back at the shop this weekend and have more updates. Next up is putting the Ford 8.8 explorer rear back together and getting it under the car to figure out the pinion angle.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Great build ya gotta paint it blue really confuses the haters. Can't wait to see the 351 w headers! I love the explorer easiest 373 posi disc brake swap ever. Subscrbing now. If there anything I ca help with
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

looking good
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it...I'd love to roll into work with a mustang/ LS swap. I have co worker who's head would explode! Hates GM, doesn't see why people even consider a GM engine in a old mustang.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Default New Year Update

Been a while since I posted and a decent amount has happened.

Firstly, truck intake off and started cleaning:

Vigorous cleaning lead to snapping one of the sensors in the back. Turns out that bastard is ~$40. I will probably not end up replacing it unless I end up putting that gauge in the dash:

Started to disassemble accessory kit to put the dirty dingo adaptor on. Immediately realized I didn't have a pulley puller.

Ah well.. I have plenty more to work on. I cut the flanges off the 351w swap headers. The 351w headers have dimples to allow clearance on header bolts, so I tried to use a pipe expander on the square ports to hopefully round the ports out and remove the dimples. Didn't even make it past one pipe (harbor freight is harbor freight though... ) :

So next plan of attack was a propane torch and a pair of needle nose pliers:

That actually worked out ok. Took two of us heating and bending for about 45 minutes:

So one good bit of luck is that the motorcycle jack is a perfect rear end jack:

Got the 8.8 end cleaned up and ready to tack weld when we set the pinion angle:

So next step is the steering shaft. I need to get that in place to test the final angles of the headers before those are welded up. And then from there the pinion angle will be set and the rear end can have the perches welded on.

One added bit of fun is that the top of the tunnel around the transmission will probably need to be cut and boxed so the T56 can sit higher. For better header clearance, the engine needed to come up about 1 - 1.5 inches. This isn't finalized, but from where we left it last time, that's the assumption we're working on.

More to come after this weekend hopefully!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Very cool.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

should be a very fun car. What should the car end up weighing?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsx67
should be a very fun car. What should the car end up weighing?
My best guesstimate is that it will weight right around 2900 lbs or so. Here's how I based my guess:

+ 2750 lbs : 68 coupe with an inline 6 is
+ 130 lbs : LQ9 weight difference from inline 6
+ 20-40 lbs : rear end difference over 7"
+ 20 lbs : frame bracing
- 40 lbs : removing shock towers / front suspension and steering difference

This is just a guess and I could be forgetting something.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Default And we're back..

Finally back at it!

I got distracted for a while with my motorcycle project: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29512

In the last week:
  • the alternator bracket and water pump were put on
  • headers were tacked into position on the new flange. driver side is fully welded and ready to be cleaned up inside.
  • the engine mounts are tacked in
  • trans mount was test fit and is looking good (the stock shift hole in the tunnel is sooooo close to perfect)
  • pedal cluster is back in and i stopped last night while fitting the hydroboost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 Ford Mustang LQ9 swap - Lil' Heathen