Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick guys, I'm ignorant and need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Stick guys, I'm ignorant and need help.

Hi all,

I'm glomming parts for my next car and need some pressure plate help, I haven't had a stick car for 30 years... I just bought a Fidenza 15# aluminum 'wheel and the bolt pattern is 6 on a 12 5/8" circle. Will any so-called "11 inch clutch" fit this wheel? Do I need an "LS" specific clutch? The trans in question will most likely be an Astro geared (Ford) T-5 with a 26 x 1 1/8" spline input. Not so worried about the disc as the pp...

TIA!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn, I must not be the only ignorant one. Posted this in the manual trans section last week and got a whopping 0 hits there too! Like everything else, I'll eventually get it figured...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forget what size I'm running, but its an SBC clutch on an LS wheel (Sachs 1050). The pressure plate will need 3 holes enlarged a small bit and the LS flywheel will need some dowel pins removed.

Or just get an LS clutch set. They're not much more expensive.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Damn, I must not be the only ignorant one. Posted this in the manual trans section last week and got a whopping 0 hits there too! Like everything else, I'll eventually get it figured...
Russ,
You're a pioneer...asking questions that have never been asked, nor answered.... Going where no man has gone before!...(enter Star Trek theme song).
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I first got the clutch for my car, I got it through Jeremy at Spec. My original order was for the Spec 2+, but before the ink dried on the order, I changed my mind to also include a light weight pressure plate. There is a slight difference in diameter between the regular clutch disc (11") and the one made for the light plate (10.5"). I ended up getting the bigger one, and it didn't fit right. Jeremy was an absolute saint dealing with me, and made it right. He knew exactly what the issue was, took care of it - no fuss no muss.

The moral of this little story is two-fold:
  1. There will be slight differences from model to model.
  2. Buy in a package, and make sure you're dealing with a reputable dealer who knows what they are talking about AND who will spend time talking to you.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I hate paying retail. I've found a ton of new or near-new stuff on E-Bay for much less. I love being retired, but the cash flow is less than desirable.

I guess I was hoping for some degree of "uniformity" among clutches. Guess I'll start looking for an LS specific package deal...

I'm gonna run a T-5 (Astro gears, supposed to good for 600/500) and the car will be light. I'm looking for something with low pedal effort and easy engagement so as not to tempt fate on the gearbox. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Stick guys, I'm ignorant and need help.