Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need LS motor advice for 69 Camaro swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need LS motor advice for 69 Camaro swap

I just bought a 69 Camaro, no interior, no motor but the body has been stripped and has a really nice black w/white stripe paint job. I have built a lot of SBCs but I have never had ANY experience with the LS motors. I am going to use a T56 and a 9" in the rear with mini tubs so I can get a little more meat stuffed in there. I think I want to use a LS2 aluminum motor so keep that in mind. I assume I need some different heads, cam, intake/throttle body. I have a few questions for you guys that are experienced in this LS world.

Should I buy a complete LS2 and try to get rid of the crank, rods, heads or buy a short block and other parts, computer? I found a complete LS2 w/t56 for $4800.

What stroke crank? I hear I shouldn't go bigger than 4".

How much to safely bore it?

Assuming I go with a stroker crank, H beam rods, forged pistions (fly cut) what head, cam, intake and header works best together for that size motor?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just swap that combo in and then upgrade. The swap is a long and expensive task itself.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is your end goal with the car ??do you plan on making a lot of power down the road??if so maybe buy a Texas speed short block or get a ls2 and replace rods and pistons !!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
I would just swap that combo in and then upgrade. The swap is a long and expensive task itself.
I know for sure I would change cams/heads/intake anyway. I just don't want to have to take it back apart. I want to do the motor work before I drop it in. I would just like some help making sure I get the right combination.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bmf5150
What is your end goal with the car ??do you plan on making a lot of power down the road??if so maybe buy a Texas speed short block or get a ls2 and replace rods and pistons !!
I have looked around a little on their site but didn't notice any combination of parts and that is my problem. I want a set of heads, cam, intake/throttle body that will work with a 4" stroker crank.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I were you instead of searching the boards I would call Vengance Racing and Texas Speed and discuss what your wanting. You will get some quick direct answers plus they will provide lots of insight based on their experience, in comparison to what your going to get on a forum.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gchank
Really depends on the budget. The things I found out as I started mine really added up and doing things that were supposed to work yet didnt added to the budget. Finding thing wrong with the car itself while your doing the engine swap really added up also. Dam the things I found wrong,$$$.

Its all about budget and time...
That is part of the issue, is it cheaper to buy a complete LS2 knowing I will replace the heads, crank, rods, pistons, intake and just keep the block and computer/wiring harness?

This car has been totally stripped, new front fenders, new inner fenders, new full quarters, one new door and trunk. The firewall has been smoothed/painted as well as the outside of the car is painted black with white stripes. I just got a 9" to cut down and I am getting ready to buy the Detroit mini tub kit.

I just hate doing things twice so I want to have the motor work totally done. I want a good high HP fuel injected aluminum block motor but I also want it to be dependable. Having a big cam doesn't concern me as I will be running a manual tranny.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
If I were you instead of searching the boards I would call Vengance Racing and Texas Speed and discuss what your wanting. You will get some quick direct answers plus they will provide lots of insight based on their experience, in comparison to what your going to get on a forum.
I sent a PM to the guy at Texas Speed but he never answered. I just Googled Vengance and they are not really that far from me since I am just above Chattanooga. I think I will give them a call.

Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply: Need LS motor advice for 69 Camaro swap