Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions and Registration engine swap questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Emissions and Registration engine swap questions?

So after finding out I'll take a loss on selling my T/A whole I decided to go forth with my idea of selling the LS1/transmission and eventually swapping in a 6.5 Turbo Diesel like RAF (google search 6.5 diesel camaro).

Anyways I was just thinking before I go forward:

What about emissions? My car is a 1998 which falls into the 1995 and newer vehicles having to have OB2 emissions testings. Won't this be impossible if I'm swapping in a diesel? Even if the engine is from a newer than '95?

What about registration? From what I can find on the internet about engine swaps you have to swap in a engine from the same model year or NEWER, but also same "class"? So is this not possible now with me wanting a 6.5 turbo diesel since thats in a truck and my T/A is a car?

Looks like I may end up taking a loss on my T/A by selling it with all the red tape and bs laws as I want a diesel muscle car since everyone has built up an LS1.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.. but this all depends on what state your in and what laws/rules the state you live in has..

In California, which is what many other states based the emission and swap laws on, it would not be allowed to swap in a Diesel in to a Passenger ODBII car.

As you stated. CLass is what is going to give you and issue. There is no Fed standards (emission standards) for a 98 Passenger car with Diesel engine.

But depending on what your state, county has as rules.. you might not have to recert the car...???
BC
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes.. but this all depends on what state your in and what laws/rules the state you live in has..

In California, which is what many other states based the emission and swap laws on, it would not be allowed to swap in a Diesel in to a Passenger ODBII car.

As you stated. CLass is what is going to give you and issue. There is no Fed standards (emission standards) for a 98 Passenger car with Diesel engine.

But depending on what your state, county has as rules.. you might not have to recert the car...???
BC
Thank you for the response. It seems this is a hard subject to pinpoint a yes/no. I have to still do emissions in IL as any car after 1995 has to do OB2 scan.

I've gathered more on "class" as long as the actual truck or car (truck is my best bet for a muscle car because the only diesel car I can think of is a 4 cylinder VW engine which isn't going to be powerful) is under 8,500 lb. GVWR, but I still can't find a yes/no on swapping a diesel into a gasoline car. I've found that you can put a diesel into a gasoline vehicle if they both had options of that (example truck models with both of those engines available).

The other thing I tried finding was doing a "Special Construction Vehicle" title? Anyone have experience in this? If I understand correctly I could go by the emissions rule of either the chassis or engine which if I swapped a diesel they do NOT have to do emissions so then I'd be good, but that raises questions. What about insurance and registration for a "Special Construction Vehicle"?

Quick Reply: Emissions and Registration engine swap questions?