Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics

Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://hrpartsandstuff.com Sells a Rear Swaybar / Anti-roll bar that is a bolt on for a g-body.You may have to modify the bracket that goes on the axle tube because the mustang rear end has a 2 3/4 tube.

Hope this helps
Dennis
Old 09-13-2014, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

The curse of the jack stand was broken today!!!

She is back on the ground.

Name:  OffJackstands_zpsaabd8387.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  172.2 KB

The megasquirt is still out of the car so it isn't running just yet. But I did get the gas tank in, fabbed up brake lines, redid the Mustang shock mounts, installed shocks, and installed and bled new brake likes. Amazingly the brakes seem to work.

The car is a hair away from hitting the road again. I need to fab up the the exhaust, install the interior, and put the 80 lb injectors in. Then time to go tear this thing up!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:12 AM

Can I ask, why did you have to redo the mustang shock mounts, and what exactly did you do? I'm doing an '86 regal this winter, and I have already purchased a new edge 8.8 rear to go in.
Also, Did you have any worries about not running spherical bushings for the uppers? I ended up springing for them when I bought my trick chassis kit.
Any info is appreciated, and great build!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboMonte
Since I am ditching the ghetto exhaust I had to replace it with something a lot better. Flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes, 2.5" Dynomax race bullets, and a 3" to dual 2.5" Y pipe. Should sound awesome!

What made you decide to retain the stock cat??

(On a more serious note, great build, hope that you have a TON of fun with it!)
Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

The interior is put back together. The trans controller, MS-II, and relay board are permanently installed in their new home and the car is running. It has made a short test hop, the trans works perfectly by the way. Personally I think the interior looks pretty sharp. The car was PAINFULLY loud with the exhaust dumping right under the passenger floorboard. I don't know how you guys with fender exit open pipes do it on the street, I would go crazy.

Name:  Interiorassembled_zps7ce7bccc.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  153.9 KB

The laundry list is pretty short at this point. I need to replace a very leaky trans pan gasket, drop the 80 lb injectors in, and fab up the exhaust. Should be out tearing **** up soon!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really curious to hear a short review of the US shift. I have been considering going stand alone, but having the 80e really holds me back as not much other than the holley dominator that will control one.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:21 AM
Teching In

Very nice build, i really enjoyed the read, Im planning on running megasquirt on my 83 Datsun turbo and you helped me make my mind up on whether to get the ms2 or 3 and i am going to order the 2 so thank you.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

The car is back to life and the new trans and rear end work great. Although the rear end seems to have a very tired posi.

But the geometry on the rear seems to be great as there is no wheel hop, the driveshaft came out great with NO vibration, and the trans shifts very firmly.

The US Shift controller is a REALLY nice piece and controls the trans really well.

Up next are the 80 lb injectors and heavier wastegate springs. More to come!

Enjoy this short video of me being a giant douche in front of my house. It showcases the worn 8.8 rear. The exhaust is still dumping just under the passenger floorboard with no muffler so it sounds awesome. This video has killer turbo whistle in it!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Coool, keep up the good work
Old 10-21-2014, 01:40 AM
Teching In

here did you purchase those spring perches from?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bmays92
here did you purchase those spring perches from?
Spring perches came from here:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lower-...erch,3527.html

They were only 10 bucks each and are very well made!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

The dyno at the end of the road is finally in sight!!!

I finished off the exhaust. The bends were just too difficult for me to cut and weld together to make the 2.5" tail pipes work so I currently have a single 3 inch that dumps in front of the rear axle. It looks and sounds much better than the crap I had on last year.

Name:  Finalexhaust_zpsa598e0b1.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  149.7 KB

More importantly I dropped the 80 lb injectors in the car and put the 10 lb wastegate spring in!!! I have been driving and tuning like mad and today I decided to make a video. Sadly I popped the wastegate reference hose off and boost went to 14+ lbs and blew off a coupler. Datalog showed I was still plenty rich when it happened so no big deal. But it figures it would happen right as I was trying to get some video. I have been seeing a regular 10-11 lbs of boost at only part throttle application and the car has become a serious handful. I mean like actually SCARY. The heavier wastegate springs have brought the turbo to life and it sounds really angry in the car now, it is sick! So as soon as I get my tune sorted out I will make a dyno appointment and I can finally see what this thing is putting down. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the 500 RWHP mark will easily be reached. The brutality of how the power comes on is phenomenal! Due to the small turbine housing the boost comes on instantly with no lag, it is awesome.

Enjoy the video, fantastic turbo scream from 1:06-1:11 It really doesn't do it justice though. In the car it sounds like a jet engine!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Hair spray or weld a bead around the edge of that pipe or both!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

I thought people might enjoy an in-car video.

I had to dial the boost way back to 6-7 lbs. Anything over 10 on the street is just unusable as it spins the tires with almost any application of the throttle over about 40%. It is beastly!

Even at 6-7 lbs it is still very easy to light the rears from a roll at lower speeds.

I had scheduled dyno time for Wednesday afternoon but that isn't going to happen. Here in the Northeast we got hammered with snow last night and I have been on the generator for the last 24 hours with no restoration of power in sight. [Power came back as I finished typing that paragraph! So dyno time may yet happen if I can button up a couple of loose ends!]

I bought a CoolingMist meth injection kit as my IAT with the tiny intercooler were a little on the high side. Not so high as to cause detonation but in the upper boost range it would be marginal at best, plus I really like the idea of meth injection! It is almost all installed in the car now. Just need to wire it.

Name:  MethKit_zpsfd87a02a.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  105.9 KB

I had this old fake Greddy BOV hanging around so I ordered an E-Bay cheap-o pipe for it. I felt I needed it as the turbo makes unhappy noises when coming off of boost and I had trouble with hoses popping off at boost beyond 12 lbs when I would close the throttle.

Name:  BOVandPipe_zpsa87fd490.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  91.5 KB

I did a little chopping and got it installed in the car. It looks the part but didn't work at all!

Name:  BOVInstalled_zpse36037a5.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  102.2 KB

No matter how much I loosened the adjustment on top it wouldn't open and the turbo kept making those ugly sounds of boost bouncing back and forth between the throttle plate and the compressor. So I took the BOV apart and it had two HUGE springs in it holding the valve closed. I took one out and it works perfectly now with a nice loud WHOOSH on activation!

And finally a short in car video I took the other day before it snowed. This is only 6 lbs of boost and the car rocks. This was before I fixed the BOV so you have hear the ugly turbo noises on decel. The weird rolling of the fuel air gauge is due to my cell phone. Too bad as it shows really good A/F under boost!

If I hit the dyno Wednesday video will follow!
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Teching In

I can hardly wait any longer for dyno updates!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice work !
Old 12-02-2014, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Dyno time is rescheduled for Monday December 8th!

I will post video and a dyno sheet as long as the weather holds off for a few more days.

I have actually been out driving it around a bit at 11 lbs and it is just stupid.

The car is so fast, and so beat looking, and really so cobbled together it just defies logic. But man what fun!

Stay tuned,hard numbers on the way!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Ive been watching this build from the start and Im really looking forward to seeing what numbers your car will run... My build is very similar and ill probably have a couple questions for you over the next few months. (If you dont mind)

What kind of hp are you expecting to make?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool build. I had two 80's Montes so I'm enjoying your write up. What part of Maine do you live in? Are you going to spray water/meth or straight meth? Looking forward to seeing this car make boost and do work!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 AM
9 Second Club

Nice build. Did you happen to make it to the dyno?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics