Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some direction lt1-lsx swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some direction lt1-lsx swap

Hey everyone, i need some direction or help with my build, the car is a very clean drive trainless 1996 trans am formula ws6. plans are a LQ9, T-10 (haters hate away) C6 rear end and possibly if i can find/afford a C6 front end. plans are a street/track dominator, rollcage, clean and factory appearance as much as possible, and looking to get 500hp.

my current problems that i seek some direction are:
I have a brand new 6.2 lsx intake on my tool box, and i dont know if this will work with the LQ9 top end

I have a complete LQ9, i dont know what oil pan, and accessories i need, or have to swap, or keep to mount into the trans am. if i could guess its the A/C and water pump, but i'm sure i need a new alternator/bracket, and other pullys, but how and where could i get this information easly? i know people have swapped 6.0'ls into LT1 cars, but they had alot more money, knownlegde, and didnt detail there builds in the magazines/articles/brag blogs i have read. That or something that i can rob used parts from aside a actual LS1, reason is because people in canada are still cutting throats for LS1 stuff and havent come to realise a vortech is the same ****, and people are spending 3000$ for a used worn out LS1 to slap into a truck "because its the corvette motor" which also pisses me off to still hear, a LS1 isnt a corvette motor, it just came in the ******* car. thats it, it also came in a camaro and trans am! (sorry, have to spew that)

Oil pan, i have a oil pan that 'appears' to be correct to fit the w body subframe, it is from a safari, but i would like to get some part numbers and part number locations to confirm this.

wiring- i love 12 volt, but i am starting to think this may be over my head, i have a 4th gen LS1 engine harness and fuse box's, i need to rather toss it, and use the LQ9 harness as i would absolutly LOVE to mess around/play/experement with the DoD as this is a 4 spd car and i want to drive it everywhere from where i live to Vegas, EVERYWHERE! i know that the fuel pump sending unit on the trans am and a few other wires and other crap are rather different pins, pins dont exsist, or arent there, i know this because i had the 2 harnesses that meet at the fire wall side by side, and there were a few different wires/locations. Maybe i'm better off to source a complete interior harness for a LS1 car and take all the electronics that go with it, and make the LQ9 harness work. i should mention i dont have the underhood wiring for the LT1, just the interior crap, firewall back.

Thank you anyone and everyone for help!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Search for the LTx to LSx conversion in this forum. There are about 6 threads that will cover all the information you will need to know on putting a LQ4/9 into a LTx F-body.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, i found almost everything i was looking for, except is a 6.2l intake will work with LQ9 heads, i havent FULLY understood the interchangability of all the LSX engines. Seems they dont exactly have everything interchangable.

Any and solid mods that i could do to achive 500hp out of a 6.0l, hoping a cam and some port work and headers will make it happen, and a tune of course
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

So I'm assuming form what I can find on the Internet for pictures that the head ports on the 2008 lq9 will not work with a 6.2l ls motor intake
Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

no it wont, that intake has the ls3 style rectangular ports and the lq9 is cathedral ports.

Quick Reply: need some direction lt1-lsx swap