Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinout opinions

Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinout opinions

Hey everyone, new guy here looking for opinions. This is my first post other than the short introduction when I signed up, so I'll keep it short.

I'm putting a 5.3 in an 89 Camaro, and I'm getting ready to build the harness. I have a 411 pcm from the truck. ('01 drc) From searches, I've noticed some minor difference's in the pinouts for the 99/02 f-body's and the 99/03 trucks.

Would there be any advantage to using the f-body pinouts, then loading an ls1 5.7 base tune in the pcm? I'd then have to "de" tune the fuel tables and stuff for the 5.3. Or would using the truck pinouts and truck program work just as well, doing basically a stand alone type harness? Thanks for any input.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

I am doing the same thing right now and recomend going with the truck pinouts and base tune. It has already been tuned for that exact cam, compression, and everything associated with your engine which will keep it simple. Once you mod the engine and need to re-tune, you should have the same capability as any other LS. I always try to just keep it simple. Good luck with the build!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Match the harness to the PCM. Truck harnesses are much cheaper anyway.

I ran a 5.3 with an LS1 cam and tune for a while (truck PCM and harness). It ran fine, but when I finally got a wideband on the car I was seeing < 10:1 at WOT. A little fuel work and all was well again.

Either tune will run and be drivable. Perhaps spend the extra couple bucks and get a custom tune done? I'm sure a stock engine will do fine with a mail order/non-dyno tune.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I'm going to tune it anyway, I'm running a hotcam (got it cheap) and headers. I had the 411 truck pcm already, but I'm piecing together a harness from a cut 98 f-body, cut 5.3 and cut S-10. Since I'm totaly building the harness, I just wondered if there was any advantage to running the LS1 tune had over the truck tune? Maybe the ability to control two fans?

Building the harness from scrap and flashing the pcm either way, I could easily use either pinout and the corresponding tune, just wondered if one was really any better than the other.

I'll probably keep the truck file and tune it for the cam. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use the f-body pcm and harness. It's already tuned and wired for electric fans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pinout opinions