Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are the best motor mounts for gbody swap

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the best motor mounts for gbody swap

I have a 80 monte carlo gbody thats getting a new heart transplant.i have a lr4 4.8 vortec thats going in and I would like to keep the truck vortec intake,and use fbody long tube headers.what would be the best motor mounts that i could use to get the job done getting everything to fit so my hood would clear when i close the door.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is like 1 or 2 gbody mount questions on every page of this section.

The gbody swap thread with all info you need was literally 2 threads below this topic before I posted in here to bump it back up, check it out some good stuff in there.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
There is like 1 or 2 gbody mount questions on every page of this section.

The gbody swap thread with all info you need was literally 2 threads below this topic before I posted in here to bump it back up, check it out some good stuff in there.
I have already viewed the gbody swap that your talking about.I dont plan on changing my intake like every one else I still would like to use my stock vortec intake,I didnt really didnt hardly get a clear answer on what motor mounts to use that will allow the truck intake clear the hood without having to swap out the truck intake.thanks for your reply.

can anyone give me a direct answer as far as what motor mount will help my 4.8 clear my 1980 monte carlo hood without having to change the intake.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know there are a few people in there using the truck intake. Just gotta send people PM's

Sometimes the answer is never there directly, sometimes you have to kinda piece things together. Member MalibuRacing in there posted a link to his build with his sons Malibu. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...e00c00e1822c34

First 9 threads he has pinned at the top summing up everything for the swap. He used the standard swap plates (non set back ones) and gives part number. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=34&t=79060

Here he post the hood install. Truck Acc and Intake, factory intake cover would not clear. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=34&t=91947

Now I can't remember if this is directly in the gbody thread, but those non setback mounts have clearance issues with fbody long tubes I believe which you stated you wanted to use.. 1 3/4in primaries on those pacesetters fbody longtubes.

I know of two people using those non set back plates with Hedman headers 1 7/8 primaries though. They slide right in with those mounts. But with those headers also comes a much higher price tag so that's something to think about. Part #502-45036 for hedman headers. I believe they are same headers BRP sells for the gbody.

Now I know in the gbody thread it's mentioned that 1in setback plates do work with pacesetter fbody long tubes. Some reported they needed a little clearance(just passenger side) and some have reported they fit no problem.

You do not mention what trans you are wanting to use. If you wanted to retain the factory gbody trans then you would need 1in setback plates.

1in set back plates sit the motor a little lower then the standard plates, but we know from member MalibuRacing that all the truck stuff fits with standard plates. So if it clears with standard plates, it will clear with 1in setbacks. Who you get 1in setback swap plates from doesn't really matter. I bought mine from Carshop inc http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc.../98457/CSP2370 They are also a sponsor here.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know there are a few people in there using the truck intake. Just gotta send people PM's

Sometimes the answer is never there directly, sometimes you have to kinda piece things together. Member MalibuRacing in there posted a link to his build with his sons Malibu. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...e00c00e1822c34

First 9 threads he has pinned at the top summing up everything for the swap. He used the standard swap plates (non set back ones) and gives part number. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=34&t=79060

Here he post the hood install. Truck Acc and Intake, factory intake cover would not clear. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=34&t=91947

Now I can't remember if this is directly in the gbody thread, but those non setback mounts have clearance issues with fbody long tubes I believe which you stated you wanted to use.. 1 3/4in primaries on those pacesetters fbody longtubes.

I know of two people using those non set back plates with Hedman headers 1 7/8 primaries though. They slide right in with those mounts. But with those headers also comes a much higher price tag so that's something to think about. Part #502-45036 for hedman headers. I believe they are same headers BRP sells for the gbody.

Now I know in the gbody thread it's mentioned that 1in setback plates do work with pacesetter fbody long tubes. Some reported they needed a little clearance(just passenger side) and some have reported they fit no problem.

You do not mention what trans you are wanting to use. If you wanted to retain the factory gbody trans then you would need 1in setback plates.

1in set back plates sit the motor a little lower then the standard plates, but we know from member MalibuRacing that all the truck stuff fits with standard plates. So if it clears with standard plates, it will clear with 1in setbacks. Who you get 1in setback swap plates from doesn't really matter. I bought mine from Carshop inc http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc.../98457/CSP2370 They are also a sponsor here.

I ran CTSV pan, cleared fine with 1 in setback plates from carshop (along with sbc clamshell mounts)

I wouldn't advise running F Body 98-02 longtubes unless running setback plates, even so, I had to dent the tube a bit to get it to clear and still rubs the frame. I would try to scrape together the few extra hundred for swap headers, I sure wish I did.

Truck intake will not clear unless you have a 3 in cowl hood. I have a 2 1/2 in cowl and had to cut the hood bracing, literally clears by a few sheets of notebook paper at rest.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On a gbody?

That's strange that the intake wouldn't clear, seeing as Maliburacing got it to clear with stock hood. Its very close but he said it cleared.

1in set back set the motor a little lower if I'm not mistaken compared to the standard non setback ones, so the intake should clear. I could confirm this cause I have two truck intakes sitting here but I no longer have stock hood, got a 2in cowl.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superbean
I ran CTSV pan, cleared fine with 1 in setback plates from carshop (along with sbc clamshell mounts)

I wouldn't advise running F Body 98-02 longtubes unless running setback plates, even so, I had to dent the tube a bit to get it to clear and still rubs the frame. I would try to scrape together the few extra hundred for swap headers, I sure wish I did.

Truck intake will not clear unless you have a 3 in cowl hood. I have a 2 1/2 in cowl and had to cut the hood bracing, literally clears by a few sheets of notebook paper at rest.
On a gbody?

That's strange that the intake wouldn't clear, seeing as Maliburacing got it to clear with stock hood. Its very close but he said it cleared.

1in set back set the motor a little lower if I'm not mistaken compared to the standard non setback ones, so the intake should clear. I could confirm this cause I have two truck intakes sitting here but I no longer have stock hood, got a 2in cowl.
well what type of gbody are you guys running i have a 80 monte carlo,I am sure that they are all on the same plateform but it seem like there are little difference in the hood height.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

88 monte Carlo ss

I think there may or may not be clearance issues with maybe gbody cutlass or Buick regal, seems like the front clips on those kinda slope down more then a monte,
Malibu, elco etc
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

ok well hopefuly my 80 monte should be good to go then
Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Launching!

i'm using transdapt 4595 1in setback plates with the CTS-V oil pan.. Oil pan wise it fit great but i had to modufy my non a/c box a bit, and relocate my stock f body alternator with the speedway motors alternator relocation bracket. I did have to grind down some parts on the plates and add washers to make them fit right...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what are the best motor mounts for gbody swap