Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autokraft oil pan hole help????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autokraft oil pan hole help????

On the bottom of this picture it shows 2 large holes from the oil filter bracket, Question: what are they for? Perhaps a remote filter?? Can I just plug these off?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...5-dsc01665.jpg
Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Which holes, the ones with "O" rings or the ones without?

The ones without are for the oil bypass which is where your oil cooler would go if you have one. You can't simply block the holes off, but you can use a bypass adapter like on a standard LSx oil pan shown below. These with the nipples are great for oil pressure gauges, but there are some without that look cleaner.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Its the ones without O RINGS. its the four holes that are in line with eachother at the bottom of the pick. the two on the outside are small (maybe for bolts?) and the two on the inside are larger (for the bypass?). what is the part you show called? do you know where I can get one? BTW I do need a oil pressure sending unit.

Appreciate your help
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

They are the bye pass/aux ports just like what gofastwclass mentioned. On the reverse you'd see there is a small channel bored out to allow the oil pass from 1 hole to the other (thus bye-passing the filter). Usually people take them off the oil pan that came with the engine. That fitting pictured above is off a Corvette (I think), and be careful when using it for pressure sender as it can conflict with header routing. The one I am using is off the truck pan that came with my engine and it doesn't the "thing" sticking off it, thus making it more difficult to use for a spot for a pressure sensor which is why I used the port behind the intake manifold for my gauge.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

The engine (LS-1) that I bought did not come with the bypass so I am in search of one. I am using Autometer gauges and there oil pressure sending unit that comes with the gauge wont fit behind the manifold because the intake manifold gets in the way. So I can either remote it with a hose or put it somewhere else. As far as the header conflict and since I read your response I came accross the "oil pressure tree" from S&P. It looks like it might get the unit out of the way but I would like to know if anyone has had experience with it.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Teching In

Autokraft does offer a blockoff for the oil cooler. It's a nice aluminum block. I have one on my pan. I called them and told them what I wanted or you can email them kurt.autokraft@gmail.com 715-874-5921
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC, the ports are also used for Oil Cooler connections... but if your not going to hook one up, get the block off / bypass as it does need one.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

You don't want a block off per say, you want a bypass that allows oil to flow from one of those holes back into the other. There are a number of options out there both from the factory and aftermarket for doing everything from just bypassing it to adding a pressure gauge to connecting AN fittings for remote coolers, filters, or oil accumulators. Here is a smattering of options. I would provide links, but that is against forum policy. Do some searching for "LS1 oil bypass" or "LS1 accusump adapter" and you'll probably find others. Some headers do not offer much clearance in this area, so be careful what you choose and think about how you'll route your wires or hoses.

Factory bypass

Factory bypass with sensor / pressure gauge port GM # 12551587

Modified truck oil cooler adapter

Wide Open Design Machine & Fab

Blue Torch fab

Hazard Fab Worx

Improved Racing

Lingenfelter

GM Performance Parts
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock4173
Autokraft does offer a blockoff for the oil cooler. It's a nice aluminum block. I have one on my pan. I called them and told them what I wanted or you can email them kurt.autokraft@gmail.com 715-874-5921
Would love to see what he offers. I was impressed with his customer service when I bought my pan. Very friendly and easy to deal with. I can say the same of the pan manufacturer that he collaborated with on this.

Here are some of my thoughts on the Autokraft pan for anyone interested:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/14288629-post89.html
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

That's why I love this forum!!

Quick Reply: Autokraft oil pan hole help????