Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 FD RX-7 matchbox build 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build.. carbon wrap looks great nice work.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdonald77
great build, you in Vancouver? I am over the border near Bellingham. I've found some cheap parts up there, but the engines are not cheap at all.
Yea I'm up in Van, parts are nasty expensive up here heh.

Originally Posted by Dnugz420
Know Im way late on this thread but i'd love to see the pics after that last paint job!!
Car will be in paint until at least the end of the month, they are taking their time with it. It won't be a show quality paint job or fitment, but it is not meant to be winning shows heh.

Originally Posted by LILHEMI
bodykit looks garish unpainted so i will withhold judgement til you paint it :p
I'm sure your not the only one who thinks it's a bit garish so far, and even when it's done, but every bit of aero on the car is there for function>form

Originally Posted by curbcheck
itb's!!!!!!! can't wait to hear those babys. what brand did you go with.
Some Jenvey copies I came across online, quality from inspection so far is a 7/10 maybe, but we'll see once the install happens.

Originally Posted by djfury05
Nice build.. carbon wrap looks great nice work.
It was such a pain to do, but thanks!!!

If anyone knows of a LS1 AEM 30-1220 ECU for sale, please let me know!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Looking good!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Amazing looking car! Do you happen to have the part number for that air filter in the first set of photos?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BoostinIx
Looking good!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by cosmo22nov
Amazing looking car! Do you happen to have the part number for that air filter in the first set of photos?
If I remember right, this is the filter I was using:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RP-5161
Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Some progress pics at the body shop below, still figuring out the gas cap... but its looking really good.

I am looking for a AEM ECU 30-1220 for my setup (it has been discontinued by AEM for some reason), if anyone knows of one for sale or can direct me to one for sale online it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great car! I love the build. I had one with a 2jz and a widebody.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for updates!

Badass build!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tai-lun
Oh yea!

And I bought these to throw on the engine when its back from paint, in case you guys were wondering why I would get a hood like that...
Some Jenvey copies I came across online, quality from inspection so far is a 7/10 maybe, but we'll see once the install happens.
Those look to be the OBX ITB's. I know this because I just bought my own. Quality is kind of poor, but that can be fixed.
My shop installed these on an AP2 S2000. We did some homework and found that these things have a tendency to stick. So what we did is knife-edge all of the throttle blades and we gasket matched, ported, and polished all of the runners. I'm in the process of doing this on my own for my GTO. I'm now giving thought to sanding down the outside castings before powder coat.

Awesome build! Can't wait to see it completed.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info!

I was thinking about swapping out the hardware when I first opened up the package as some of it looks bleh. We will do the same as you guys with the throttle blades to make sure nothing sticks, how much porting did you have to do on the inside of the runners? And what powder coating color route are you going?

Not a lot of progress as the car is in the shop for paint, located a ecu and some bodywork pics:

All panels have final fitment now, the Aerocatch pins are gong in next, and my rear fenders have been blended into the body. They also trimmed all the fenders to get the best wheel/tire clearance possible. I will have a hidden fuel filler cap keeping the body nice and clean.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What color are you going with now? Somethng different than the blue?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoa!
Nice
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't understand why everyone with a nice stock FD does this to them. It looked better before you started than it did in v1.0. I hope you turn it around in v2.0 but "keep it simple stupid" really is true.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djfury05
What color are you going with now? Somethng different than the blue?
Same color, I like the matchbox blue heh.

Originally Posted by vazfx16
Whoa!
Nice
Thanks, your build thread is looking good also!

Originally Posted by scj
I don't understand why everyone with a nice stock FD does this to them. It looked better before you started than it did in v1.0. I hope you turn it around in v2.0 but "keep it simple stupid" really is true.
Well, as you could see I didn't start with a nice stock FD, before v1.0 it was a AT oil burnt chassis. The car was also in some fender benders so it was Frankenstein's monster already before I made it my abomination heh. Stock FD's look nice, but I like my FD to have a bit of flare to match the swap and my personal style. Keeping it simple would be the whole LS2 swap and the function over form body in v2.0 as it is now. I have friends with stock FD's and they do get a bit tired of being asked about their hard top Miata lol
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Launching!

nice, i like both builds...cant wait to see this new one finished.

still have any of the parts left over from the first build?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by green manalishi
nice, i like both builds...cant wait to see this new one finished.

still have any of the parts left over from the first build?
Thanks!

PM what your looking for as I have a lot of random stuff for the car sitting around heh.

This week I should be getting the new look on the front brakes, and getting some color on the Katech covers!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info!

I was thinking about swapping out the hardware when I first opened up the package as some of it looks bleh. We will do the same as you guys with the throttle blades to make sure nothing sticks, how much porting did you have to do on the inside of the runners? And what powder coating color route are you going?
Not A TON... We gasket-matched the runner to the intake port on the head, took out a little material to get rid of any casting imperfections, and finally went over everything with a few high grit cartridge rolls for a polish. We didn't really want to open up the runners a whole lot.
If you'd like, I can take a picture of them sometime this week. I actually have the whole setup and head off the F22 so the head can be ported.

Sometime in the next year, we'll be swapping a 1UZFE Toyota v8 into an '87 Turbo II and doing another ITB setup. Should be pretty neat... I think I'm more excited for that build than any of the current builds.

...I have friends with stock FD's and they do get a bit tired of being asked about their hard top Miata lol
The S2000 guys deal with the same thing...

Last edited by thehazz12; 08-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

guess you can make those demands when he is building your car LOL

Originally Posted by scj
Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Launching!

^ funny how that works...

no matter what forum your on, there are ppl who like to do things a little different, sometimes tasteful (like the op has done) and others not-so-tasteful. then you will have your stock body ***** who will say "maybe wheels & engine only" is all you need.

i say forget what other ppl think...do what you like, its your car.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 AM
Teching In

thehazz12 If you could get me some pics it would be greatly appreciated!!!

I can say I have been in both the "keep it stock" and "got all out" camp so I can see it from both sides. But now and with this project and I think a lot of the projects on here, we see wheels, colors, body parts etc that are bleh to us but it does make the builder/owner happy so as long as that is the case, that is what matters and I support it. There are definitely a lot of things on my car that to anyone who doesn't know me might think is odd or stupid even I'm sure heh.

Almost primer time!

All the blending is done, it should be all grey this week for me to have one more check over before the color is sprayed on.

Aero catch and side markers are on:

Bumper is smoothed out:

Getting pretty stoked to see it all one color again!

Quick Reply: LS2 FD RX-7 matchbox build 2.0