Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non tunnel cutting options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default non tunnel cutting options?

Hi guys, I have a '69 Chevelle that I want to put an LS into.
Does anyone know if using a TKO 5 speed (or even the stock muncie 4speed) will eliminate the need to relocate the the trans tunnel like you have to with the T56?
Or is it the centerline of the LS engine that makes cutting the tunnel nessecary?
My car has very clean rust free floors and I hate to have to cut them.
Thanks, Dan.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be ok.. you can leave the Trans and x-member in the original location, you just need to move the engine back to the bell housing flange location, usually 1" set back adapters will do that. But that can put the engine pretty close to the firewall (passenger side head).

The TKO could be close. if so. just use standard adapters, that will move the trans and bell housing forward and help with clearance. will need to mod the Tra ns x-member.

but do some research... there are some swap that have used both TKO and older 4 speeds.

BC
Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Danbo,
I tried really hard to not cut my floor with the T56, but ended up having to do so anyway.
It is certainly the transmission choice that dictates whether the tunnel has to be cut, not the LS design.
Like bczee is saying, you have a little flexibility in placement of the motor to help you also.

Feel free to check out my build thread (link in signature) to see if that helps any.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys.
This was my first car that I bought in 1982 (senior year). So it has a lot of sentimental attachment.
My wife and I went to my senior prom and our wedding in it! It's been sitting in my garage for the last 20 years and now it is time to make it fun to drive again.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do decide to go with the T56 or a large Transmission.. here is the install guide that show how to do the T-cut of a Transmission Tunnel

Page 3, step 1...:
http://www.brphotrods.com/installguides/ACK.pdf

Hope it help you make up your mind on which Transmission. Good Luck.

BC
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When I was looking into it for y 72 Olds, most of the 68-72 chevelle guys indicated the TKO would trquire cutting. I went with a Muncie (now a T10), and no cutting needed. Link below. If you want OD, a Richmond 6 speed will fit and the new Keisler 5 speed is supposed to fit without cutting too. But I've heard there's quite a wait for the Keisler trans and the Rochmond shifter can be tight in a console car.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...442-build.html

Quick Reply: non tunnel cutting options?