Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure issue..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issue..

I have noticed that my car does run well under part throttle and full throttle typically. However under hard loads like a long steep hill, or when I mat the gas it will feel really weak and then pick up on the top end.

I ran my scanner on the car, and it will have normal timing curves under light throttle (40deg to 30 deg variable) but when I stand on the gas, it drops to 8-10 deg and the engine feels confused and doesn't pull whatsoever.. pulling ignition timing due to knock im assuming

I put a fuel pressure guage on the car (B&M brand, not some ebay junk) and it is idling at 47-48 psi. When I rev it, it goes up to about 50 then dips to about 40 psi. when I hold throttle at around 3000 rpm, it stays around 45 psi.

Think its time for a new pump? Currently it has a Buick GN oem replacement pump which I think is supposed to run at 43 psi rail pressure, but it always seemed to run fine.

After my tune, there was a good bit of timing changes.. so I guess now its really showing how lean the motor is going and pulling timing.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuel pressure is your proble... The Gen III/IV engine EFI requires a regulated 58psi of fuel to the injectors. You have the wrong pump.

Tell us more about your fuel system, what Fuel Pressure Regulator are you using and is it adjustable ?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bczee
Fuel pressure is your proble... The Gen III/IV engine EFI requires a regulated 58psi of fuel to the injectors. You have the wrong pump.

Tell us more about your fuel system, what Fuel Pressure Regulator are you using and is it adjustable ?
3/8 supply with no bottle necks, feed line is 3/8, fuel filter is 3/8 in and out, running a return style 01 truck fuel rail so regulator is factory truck. Return line is unrestriced 5/16.

All fuel lines were custom bent for this application and are new - gas tank is new, sending unit is new. The car does not sit at all I drive it about every day so there isn't any rust or debris in the line - also verified by pulling fuel filter, blew it with an air hose and no debris at all.

I need a new pump I think.. Walbro 255?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, there is nothing you suspect to be restricting the fuel pressure.. so.. if your at 47-48PSI (which is at the LT1 pressure range). You should get a properly spec'd pump .. yeah.. the Walbro 255's are the most common choice. I use them myself.

Becareful until you change it.. you don't want to run it Lean..

good luck

BC

Last edited by bczee; 12-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered a Walbro from Racetronix.. hopefully that should do the trick
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had a couple of them and they work really well when installed properly (no restrictions, proper voltage, good grounds, etc). You will be pleasantly surprised with the upgrade.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Make sure the filter is before walbro. They are sensitive to debris and will take a dump if clogged. I use a cheap jegs brand inline aluminum unit. #8 in #8 out AN.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure issue..