Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Firebird (Project Firechicken)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Firebird (Project Firechicken)

Hello,

Slight introduction, I am Bob I am the proud owner of a 68 firebird. I started this project over 3 years ago when I was 15.

Intro on the Firebird it is a basically rust free car, originally a 2 barrel 350 car with a powerglide at some point it was swapped out for a 326 with a 77 400 top end and a TH400. This made for a car that was powerless and a dog to drive.

Fast forward a bit to the LS1, my father owned a 2000 Z28 I later got my hands on it. But being the stupid 16 year old that I was, I was sliding the car and ran out of skill half way through the corner in the rain. Parked it on a pole. Waited close to a year to part it out (alot of reasons). It is still be parted out till this day, in retro I should have just sold it as a roller.

Currently I have a LS1 4L60e combo and a complete LS Camaro Brake set up waiting to go onto the car.

Now since I have a good amount of funding I can finally move it farther then I have in the past 6 months.

I have questions many have been answered many of times but I would like to have answers in my thread purely as a way to record progress and my own Q/A.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Here are my first sets of questions.

I have used the search button this forum has been a huge help for me over the years.

To save cost I am going to reuse my factory F-body pan. I wanted to go Holly or autocraft but $400 is not in the cards and I cant wait anymore I need progress.

My question is "Is it required to notch the pan?"

I have seen other users not notch their pans while others have.

I am torn between Dougs and Hookers swap headers. My major concern is not just steering box clearance but also ground clearence.

Next question "Which set do you prefer and info on ground clearence?"
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Teching In

I am breaking up post not to post spam but to make it easier for both myself and the reader. I hope you all under stand. Thank you!

Question "I have heard/seen hooker swap mounts are pretty rough (unless that has changed recently) are they good? Would they work well with a Hooker/Energy combo?"

Question "How are Energy Suspensions motor mounts and swap plates?"

Question "What do the you recommend with either dougs or hookers headers?"

I cannot afford ATS swap mounts/quote higher end mounts. I have a wine taste with a beer budget.

How are these brackets? I have the means to make them.

Thank you whom ever made these on here.

Thank you all! For the help over the years, and for those who can answer my questions.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out my thread on fbody oil pan for pics n more info.
The fbody pan will fit but may hit on full lock turns only.
You will have to use 1" setback plates wich put the engine very close to the firewall or 3/4" setback plates or maybe 1/2" wich is pushing it on hitting the oil pan on full lock.
That plate u posted won't work with a stock fbody pan. You will need a different plate.
The ctsv pan works also just hangs a bit.

Quick Reply: 68 Firebird (Project Firechicken)