Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what should I take for my conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what should I take for my conversion?

I will be pulling a built motor and tranny out of a 04 chevy hd and I am wondering what all I should take. Heres what I plan on if there is somthing im missing please let me know.
Motor
Tranny
Harness for engine and tranny
Computer
Also it is a drive by wire should I take the pedal
Fuel pump
I would like to spend as little as possible on the swap so if there is somthing im missing or some words of wisdom please post up. Thanks
This will be going in a chevelle will the truck harness work how much modding will the harness need and if I decide to have someone do it what guys do you recommend?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I've never done it before, but from reading around here I'd say:

-Yes grab the pedal.
-Harness modifications will depend on you. If switching to a car manifold/TB, then the harness requires some re-work, and of course going into such an old car you can eliminate a lot of stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

if you dont know what you are pulling, stop and search a little more. this will save you much heartache and money later down the road.

i know this from experience
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive done plenty of research I just wanted to check with people that may have some things that I did not read on, or maybe some tips that people ran accross when they did there own swap.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Launching!

what are ur plans with it?turbo?leave it stock?what trans r u using?like stated above are u keeping the dbw and truck intake although i dont think the truck intake would fit under the hood without a cowl. would help with what to take
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Get the DBW pedal, TAC module and wiring. Don't forget the MAF. People forget these items and spend a ton of time and money later trying to find them.

Remember, everything unplugs and done correctly nothing will need to be cut.

Grab the driveshaft too, that way you KNOW you have the proper yoke.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@burb. Sorry for not putting all the info up. It already has turbo with a front mount which I will keep and just redo piping. I will be running the 4l80e and hopefully keeping the dbw and leaving the truck intake.
@gofast. Thank you for the reply these are the things that im talking about somthing that I would completely forget about and not even think of grabing.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I part a vehicle I grab everything n anything... You can always throw away what you don't need later.
You won't need the fuel pump for your swap.
Get the fuse block in the hood and pull as much wiring as possible.
It's what I do.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

do what he says.just grab everything u can under the hood.also do make sure u get the pedal tac module and harness.basically everything the other guys have said.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the HD is your parts vehicle and not at a yard, Keep the thing in your driveway till you are finished with your conversion. You never know when you might need something until your finished. Then part out whats left and make some money back.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I second 99VetteFRC, keep the donor around as long as you can. You will find tons of trinkets to use. Be sure to take the ALDL connector and all of the wiring and switch related to the cruise control as well as the TCC switch.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

Having recently completed a swap with an LY6/6L90 combo in a 1999 Dakota R/t

Here are the issues I ran across.

Needed items: complete engine, trans, wiring harness, ECU and TCU (if applicable), DBW pedal. I had Current Performance do my wiring, so he modified the harness and added the necessary DBW segment through the firewall. He also added a check engine light lead to go to my original dash light.

People will tell you to grab the O2 sensors, but in my humble opinion, the problems old sensors can cause (excess fuel trim changes) can be frustrating. Spring $100 for a new pair from Rockauto or such.

The Maf also falls into this category. The risk of using an unknown MAF is not worth the $70 it costs to go with a new one. Good data saves a lot of heartache.

Absolutely grab the exhaust flanges off of the manifold extensions with the O2 bungs already welded, especially if you are using the stock manifolds. Truck manifold flanges are hard to come by. Speedway sells them for $20 each, but the junkyard will throw away the good ones, and will likely give them to you. Even the short section with the original bungs will save you the risk of having an exhaust leak near your sensors. This causes a great deal of trouble.

Finally, the transmission yoke. I used a 6l90 and found the yoke nearly impossible to find by itself. I finally had to buy a driveshaft from justchevys on ebay, and have them mail me just the yoke to save shipping.

I think 4l80 and t56 transmission yokes are easier to find, but the junkyard will pitch the original if you don't want it.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so started with removing the tranny then I pulled the gas pedal along with the box.
I am wondering do I need the fuse block and all that is under the hood or do I just take the 7mm screws out from behind it and just take the wires.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take it all, put it in bags and label everything.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so I have all the wiring and fuse panel from under the hood as well as the pedal and the harness for that. Will I need the fuse panel thats in the cab?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not unless you plan to use any of the addressed accessories on the panel door.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get the mounts for the ECM/TCM.....you may not need them, but there nice to have, also if it is an automatic get the lines from the trans to the cooler with all the clip/retainers that hold them in place.

Quick Reply: what should I take for my conversion?