Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock A/c off Vortec? any way

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock A/c off Vortec? any way

working on doing my 6.0 vortec swap into my 84 Monte Carlo and looking the only reason i couldnt use stock location on a/c is motor mount is there anyway to keep the stock location of a/c compressor? would look alot better and i think give the engine bay a much cleaner look? anybody try this it would be better to try now then later
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

If the Monte is anything like the S-10, the a/c compressor will hit the frame rail unless you notch out the frame rail for clearance. That's what I did, to maintain the stock location, but just make sure you notch it out enough to make room if you need to pull the compressor for some reason.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

With regards to the motor mount, from my build thread:

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-

This is a Denso 10S17 compressor
That is with a 1/2" setback motor mount. If you have a 0" setback, it would be even easier to trim. You may run into issues with the lower mounting bolts if you intend to flip the motor mounts.

That only takes care of the mounting; I have no idea what you're up against on the frame.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Default Monte Carlo compressor mount.

Your Monte has the R4 compressor? Look at the pictutres of the new holley mount. If you can reuse your currnet compressor it would offset the cost of the mount and install kit. Attached link below has great pictures of Holleys brackets installed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...c-bracket.html

Within that link is a thread I posted an accessory drive i've built using a high mount SD7 compressor. It is really clean looking and compact. It would eliminate most of the issues with the low mount interference with frame and engine mount.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16947011-post10.html
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM

ok thanks guys, i think my motor may end up farther forward not back, so well see test fitting everything now

Quick Reply: stock A/c off Vortec? any way