Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for LSx swaps using Vintage Air AC

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for LSx swaps using Vintage Air AC

I'm swapping a 1999 LS1/4L60e into a 1970 GTO that did not have AC from the factory. I plan to use the Vintage Air Gen IV Chevelle kit, but I'm not sure what I should/can do with the stock LS1 wiring harness, or how to tie it into the the VA system. I would like to keep the AC related features in the stock ECM (raise the idle when AC is on, turn on the 2nd e-fan, turn the AC off under WOT, etc)... is this possible? Or does everyone wire the engine as if it didn't have AC, and then the AC is a self-contained system? I have emailed the VA tech dept a couple times and they basically say they don't tie into anything ECM related.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I might have answered my own question... a Google search came up with better results than the forum search tool.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...m-drawing.html
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sure others will chime in, but from what I have read when using Vintage Air it is not tied into your ECM. It is stand alone and you can get a WOT switch to shut it off during those conditions. I will be running mine stand alone w/o the WOT switch as I just don't see it as being needed based on how I plan on driving the car with the A/C on.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
I am sure others will chime in, but from what I have read when using Vintage Air it is not tied into your ECM. It is stand alone and you can get a WOT switch to shut it off during those conditions. I will be running mine stand alone w/o the WOT switch as I just don't see it as being needed based on how I plan on driving the car with the A/C on.
Hmmmm, I did not think about the wide open throttle switch in case I had the A/C on. I will have to look into that.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Dont worry about connecting to the ecu or even the WOT switch. I've got a VA and Classic Auto Air on LS swaps. No issues after years of running.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by krwyellowZ28
I'm swapping a 1999 LS1/4L60e into a 1970 GTO that did not have AC from the factory. I plan to use the Vintage Air Gen IV Chevelle kit, but I'm not sure what I should/can do with the stock LS1 wiring harness, or how to tie it into the the VA system. I would like to keep the AC related features in the stock ECM (raise the idle when AC is on, turn on the 2nd e-fan, turn the AC off under WOT, etc)... is this possible? Or does everyone wire the engine as if it didn't have AC, and then the AC is a self-contained system? I have emailed the VA tech dept a couple times and they basically say they don't tie into anything ECM related.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I've done about 5 of these and you can easily install the two. Just hook the va compressor wire to the a/c request wire of the ecm. The wot ive never used and the fans are control by the ecm.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So I've read several threads on this topic and still not sure what method to use. I have a 68 GTO with a 68 Chevelle VA gen IV kit. 01 Camaro pcm, sd7 compressor and a binary switch. My cam has a pretty aggressive idle. My original plan was to use the ac request wire to turn on the fans and bump the idle. Possibly to turn Off the compressor at wot. But some say it's not needed.

Last edited by the450r; 03-05-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-05-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Trucks use a fixed compressor and binary switch off/on.
01 Camaro uses variable compressor and a variable pressure switch. Not sure the Camaro pcm will understand an on/off binary switch. Others have grafted in the Camaro variable pressure resistor.

Originally Posted by the450r
So I've read several threads on this topic and still not sure what method to use. I have a 68 GTO with a 68 Chevelle VA kit. 01 Camaro pcm, sd7 compressor and a binary switch. My cam has a pretty aggressive idle. My original plan was to use the ac request wire to turn on the fans and bump the idle. Possibly to turn Off the compressor at wot. But some say it's not needed.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thread from 2012? The rumor is true, the search feature works!

Originally Posted by garys 68
Trucks use a fixed compressor and binary switch off/on.
01 Camaro uses variable compressor and a variable pressure switch. Not sure the Camaro pcm will understand an on/off binary switch. Others have grafted in the Camaro variable pressure resistor.
Gen III truck and Camaro PCM's are the same with different software settings to match the hardware. There are switches available within HP Tuners to adjust this according to your hardware. I personally can't tell you what they all mean, but I can tell you what HP Tuners has listed. The options are: Serial, Serial Cycling, Analog, Analog Cycling, Passive and Not Fitted.

Serial and Serial Cycling - I don't know, I've never used them
Analog - Stock 2002 F-Body (Camaro / Firebird / TA) stock 2002 Y-Body (Corvette)
Analog Cycling - (stock 2002 truck) I'm using this on my Thunderbird with the f-bomb compressor and hardware controlled by the GM PCM.
Passive - I would ASSUME this means AC is fitted, but the PCM doesn't control it
Not Fitted - self explanatory.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, very true, I'm pretty sure the 411 ecu can do fixed vs variable compressor/pressure sensor, manual vs auto trans, DBW vs cable, etc. He would have be sure the pinouts and wiring are correct for the application. Not sure about incompatibility issues though.

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Thread from 2012? The rumor is true, the search feature works!

Gen III truck and Camaro PCM's are the same with different software settings to match the hardware. There are switches available within HP Tuners to adjust this according to your hardware. I personally can't tell you what they all mean, but I can tell you what HP Tuners has listed. The options are: Serial, Serial Cycling, Analog, Analog Cycling, Passive and Not Fitted.

Serial and Serial Cycling - I don't know, I've never used them
Analog - Stock 2002 F-Body (Camaro / Firebird / TA) stock 2002 Y-Body (Corvette)
Analog Cycling - (stock 2002 truck) I'm using this on my Thunderbird with the f-bomb compressor and hardware controlled by the GM PCM.
Passive - I would ASSUME this means AC is fitted, but the PCM doesn't control it
Not Fitted - self explanatory.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Binary switch is what VA came with. Sd7 is a fixed compressor. From what I've read I need a second relay to trigger the compressor request to the pcm and if I want a wot switch to use a Camaro Tri switch. But some say you don't need it.

Quick Reply: Question for LSx swaps using Vintage Air AC