Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67-69 camaro or 68-72 nova, what headers fit with engine mounted forward?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 67-69 camaro or 68-72 nova, what headers fit with engine mounted forward?

Who has set their engine as far forward as possible and found headers that work without hitting the steering box? How much forward is your engine also?

Or who has their engine set more forward than stock placement. This means not using 1" set back plates but maybe 1/2" setback plates or maybe 0 setback plates?

I was going to use stock manis but I'm thinking of using headers either full length or mid length now but I'd like the engine forward more for better or more firewall clearance and ill use a ctsv pan to make it work.

Please post up guys if ya can.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I have Doug's headers with 1/2“ set back. They barely clear the steering box. Dynatechs like what tsnow and futureuser used seem to offer the most steering box clearance due to their unique primary routing and will fit with zero setback.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doubt cts-v pan will work if engine is no set back at least 1/2". double check to be sure. Also your frame stands will affect header clearance. I am currently trying Doug's plates set forward like bandit
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MisterD
Doubt cts-v pan will work if engine is no set back at least 1/2". double check to be sure. Also your frame stands will affect header clearance. I am currently trying Doug's plates set forward like bandit
1/2" will be better than 1" setback for firewall clearance etc....
The ctsv pan has a 1" difference from the fbody pan in the sump area to where it would hit the center link. That 1" can make a difference for engine placement but only if headers work. It'll only hang a little below the crossmember unless I slam it then I'm screwed again but ill make a brace welded to the Xmember to protect the oil pan.

Last edited by LS1 pwrd NOVA; 12-24-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a Camaro, but I have the Dynatech 67-69 Camaro headers on my 5.3 in my 65 Impala, and there's plenty of clearance for my steering all around. They hang lower than I would like though, and I will eventually need to swap them out for something else so I can go lower
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Looking at where my motor sits and the clearance at the oil pan/headers/steering box (manual)....You could do a 1/2" setback...but is it worth the trouble to move the tranny forward and maybe lengthen drive shaft ???

1" set-back and Dynatech 1 7/8" headers.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at the point of headers with mine too. I have dingo sliders and I'm setback about 1/2". The trans crossmember has enough room to slot the mount holes to move it that far. My driveshaft was too long anyway due to a rear axle swap. My guess is if you are stock length on the driveshaft, you have enough for 1/2" movement
Old 12-24-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doug G
Looking at where my motor sits and the clearance at the oil pan/headers/steering box (manual)....You could do a 1/2" setback...but is it worth the trouble to move the tranny forward and maybe lengthen drive shaft ???
1" set-back and Dynatech 1 7/8" headers.
My driveshaft is too long anyhow so it needs to be cut down. Is 1/2" all you could do forward or maybe more?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

By slotting the trans mount holes in the crossmember you can get 1/2-3/4". If you need more you could redrill the crossmember holes on the subframe
Old 12-24-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

What frame stands are you running? From what I have researched, ats/transdapt/moroso plates all lower the engine in the bay slightly compared to dougs/pertronix/carshop/hooker plates. This is a variable to consider if you are running cts-v pan. I am trying to "get away" with an F-body pan and pertronix/dougs plates but my t-56 is hitting the trans tunnel slightly up front. This could be because I am running the tall/narrow frame stands and have the engine at 1" set back right now. I am going to move it forward 1/2" and see if that clears the trans tunnel issue OR I may take a drive to classic industries and pick up the short/narrow z-28 stand . I will post pics this week.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

I have short/wide stands with dingo sliders. I am using the Holley swap pan and this combo put the pan really close to the crossmember so I had to massage it to make room
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88Fbody6L
By slotting the trans mount holes in the crossmember you can get 1/2-3/4". If you need more you could redrill the crossmember holes on the subframe
1st gen camaros have a different Xmember setup that you can't just slide back to make work with a th350 Xmember.

Originally Posted by MisterD
What frame stands are you running? From what I have researched, ats/transdapt/moroso plates all lower the engine in the bay slightly compared to dougs/pertronix/carshop/hooker plates. This is a variable to consider if you are running cts-v pan. I am trying to "get away" with an F-body pan and pertronix/dougs plates but my t-56 is hitting the trans tunnel slightly up front. This could be because I am running the tall/narrow frame stands and have the engine at 1" set back right now. I am going to move it forward 1/2" and see if that clears the trans tunnel issue OR I may take a drive to classic industries and pick up the short/narrow z-28 stand . I will post pics this week.
I think I have the tall skinny ones. I have D dingo aluminum plate with 3 different spots for the engine mount. You don't have much to play with on that fbody pan unless you notch the pan.

I have short/wide stands with dingo sliders. I am using the Holley swap pan and this combo put the pan really close to the crossmember so I had to massage it to make room
What year you talking about? A1st gen also?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Mine is a 3rd gen Nova. 71. And on mine you can slide the crossmember forward and redrill the frame. You can't move it much, but between that and slotting the mount holes you can get at least 1 1/4"
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't get that much with mine. Is your Xmember straight across or curved towards the back?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
I can't get that much with mine. Is your Xmember straight across or curved towards the back?
Mine is pretty much a straight shot across. Two bolts on each side
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will find out tommorrow.

I have Dynatech 1 7/8ths headers. I am using the 3 hole dingo plates with the motor all the way forward.

fingers crossed
Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is pretty much a straight shot across. Two bolts on each side
My camaro floor pans have a notch for the straight Xmember so it doesn't give me any play to move it forward or backwards. This notch in the floor pans is for the crossmember exhaust clearance. Double humped crossmember.

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
I have Dynatech 1 7/8ths headers. I am using the 3 hole dingo plates with the motor all the way forward.
fingers crossed
What oil pan are you using with your swap? This will make a difference on engine placement and center link interference.

Well I thought I had a deal on a used set of dynatechs for our cars but it may have fell through because of the price.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
What oil pan are you using with your swap? This will make a difference on engine placement and center link interference.

Well I thought I had a deal on a used set of dynatechs for our cars but it may have fell through because of the price.
Right now i have the truck pan on there. Not 100% sure on which one i wil be using. Probably the Mast.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nuckifuts

fingers crossed
NO

The rear tube hits the steering column flange where the rag-joint is. I did not try to put the gear box back in to see if it cleared.

I had to remove the brake booster and master cylinder, unbolt the steering box to lower it and it was still a pain in the *** to install. Damn rear steer car.

I am VERY concerned over ground clearance. I do not think i will have 4 inches of ground clearance. They are lower than my Hooker Supercomps that i had with my SBC and they hit everything.

It looks like i will have to move the motor back and recheck. I was hoping to avoid that fearing i would have to cut the tunnel to clear the T56.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

How far was your pass side head from the fire wall? Did you use the plate all the way forward? Maybe that's the reason. Maybe 0 setback plated could work. Did you take any pics?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67-69 camaro or 68-72 nova, what headers fit with engine mounted forward?