Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx wiring for dumb ass

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Lsx wiring for dumb ***

Okay so I have been lurking n reading n printing n reading, the wirimg seems so scary.

I am swaping a LSX motor into a 1973 240Z with a TH350, Filter/Regulator with inline pump from Raceing fuel cell.

I want to run Mechanical Gauges with this motor n run a bare Minimum of wiring, No need for AC, cruise, etc..
I want to do it race car bare bones.
What O2 sensors do I need & is it as easy as just removing the pins from ECU?
once the pins are removed I just remove the excess wire?
I plan on running 2 electric fans two. So the stuff that needs to power up are:
Coils
INjectors
fans
o2 sensors

This is a Drive by Cable set up with a 2000 LS1 harness/intake/ALT bracket/ Crankshaft pulley/ water pump & tensioner on a 5.3L Block.

Do plan on having a OBD port in the cab too

I know there is a sticky but it goes from info to "Do u have a ????" then all order is lost n my simple *** gets thrown off track...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME THE INFO IN A SIMPLE FORM SO I CAN CRANK THIS MOTOR ON A STAND N WIRE IN A JEGS FLIP PANEL TO MAKE IT LIVE??????
Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html
This is the link you need to read through. I got a 01 harness and ecu and I've based my harness off what I took from this thread. Couple posts down you will see what wires need to go to a switched 12v and what's hot all the time.
From there you wire in your switch panel into that.
You have a few options. Above method, or send your harness out and have it professionally stripped and re loomed to how you want it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Id go megasquirt.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you it is easy to remove any excessive wires (AC, SMOG, EGR, etc) and Pins from the Harnes and by adding a few wires turn the harness into a standalone harness.
Battery +12v
IGN Battery +12v
Fuel pump
ODBII Port
Low/High Fan

Relays:
Fuel pump Relay
Fan Relays
IGN Battery +12v (if you want to power up the IGN Circuits)

You will need some of the other sensor to match up with the harness and ECU/PCM.
MAF (if Speed-Density, can be removed)
MAP
IAT
ECT
TPS
Front 02's (do not need rears)

I am sure I am missing a few items, as it is early in the morning for me.. But this has been writen up a million times, just do some research. Read the FAQ here on LS1Tech as well as researching on the Web...

BC
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its not that bad to re-work your harness, The hardest part for most people is building the fuse block and wiring in the relays. This is why I sell the DIY kits. Two different fuse block depending on your needs. You just wire in the fuse block and delete everything thing out of the harness you dont need and your done.

It seems you have honed your searching skills some, as you stated you have printed off stuff and been searching. I am all for guys doing things themselves, but you also have to remember there are several things that you found or printed that are probably not the right way to do it.

If you are that scared and worried about maybe you should consider paying a professional to do the harness for you. This maybe the SAFEST and quickest way to get it done.

If you are dead set on doing it yourself the guys in this forum will help you in anyway possible, this includes myself.

I can re-work your harness and there are other sponsors on here that will re-work your harness too. If you search the forum you will find pictures of my work, this may help you decide if you wanted me to do it. Or it could also help in the sense you could see how it should be done and mimic it.

Good luck!!!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeperls
Id go megasquirt.
The guy is having trouble with the DIY guides for a stock harness and ECU, do you really think Megasquirt will be easier for him?

if you really want to keep it simple you could go carb. You will need to make your own mounts to get it under the stock hood like I did. if you run the john's cars kit then it will need some type of cowl.

What ever you do with a stock harness keep in mind you will need the computer reprogrammed.

Probably the easiest way to get running is a self learning EFI kit. There is another thread on here where a guy is selling a complete, used Fast EFI kit. He is asking $1200 but that will unquestionably be bolt and go. You might need a manifold with that. The guy is offering one of those too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...st-ez-efi.html

Guess you will also need an MSD box to control the ignition since the fast unit doesn't do that.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Launching!

i sold my plug and play LS swap harness and went the Megasquirt 1/ MSD 6010 route....building the MS was pretty easy and so was the harness..i got alot of advice and help from Denmah on here..but bottom line, its is a far easier system to deal with compared to the stock wiring...and you can tune it yourself...

my self, denmah and a few others can provide you all the info you need to wire up and build a megasquirt for an LS1...we even have base tunes..
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

So I will need to reprogram the ECU?
I was understanding it as I need to delete the Security(Vats) from the cpu to get it to run?

I guess I will take some pics of what I have started to do so far n post them.
I started delooming the harness n pulling back the ac wire & the EGR(I guess) plug. I plugged up the sensors n started to retape the harness up really tight so when I replace the loom it will look clean n tuck tight. I have stopped at the rear of passenger side head n just feel like i Dont know where to go from there. I was told I only need the front two O2 sensors..
Can someone post a pic of that plug so I can make sure to not delete that one by mistake?
MAP sensor, oil sensor, starter wire, crank & cam sensor wires I see, I figured none of these wires need to be cut cause these are the things that make the motor run, then I have a bunch of grounds & then on down thru the harness are more plugs(I guess for TRANNY stuff?)

A pic of completed harness Maybe?
Maybe I started from the wrong side, should of started at ECU?

I want to start pulling the pins out the ECU, but dont I have to solder & reroute some wires?
A inline fuse would work?
I would like to mount any relay or fuses in Glove box with ECU behind that & run My Power wires from the race toggle switches to there so that way i dont need a key..

Thanks for the Help guys, n the Megasquirt is a great Idea but Budget doesnt allow, I am thinking about sending off the ECU to get reprogrammed as I type this
I also have a XR265HR(Mail Order tune maybe?) cam I would like to install with a Nitrous sniper kit i have laying around from a SBC project I sold.

This is on another note, but are the jets & solenoids the same for the LS1 plate kit as for the SBC plate system?

I can just buy a N2O plate n hard line plumb the solenoids up under a set of Corvette Coil covers I am assuming?

Sponsers would be great(to do buisness with for ECU programming & N2O plate) if I can afford it that is.

I love this Place n will stay lurking around to find these answers in plain english n will post pics as soon as I figure out how to on this damn I phone 3g or what ever it is....

Last edited by zukboi2004; 12-28-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: I cant spell
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey bro I def. feel ya on the harness. I've contacted Bill a few times on PM's and once on phone. Right now I just can't justify sending it off and paying the cash(that I really don't have) I completely tore my harness down and didn't keep the stock shape at all. I have the wires about 90% untangled and plannded on re-routing everything to keep it as hidden as possable. I'll post a pic of where it sits now, wife likes me at home too much so I haven't messed with it in weeks =(

Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

BCZEE, Need IAC, VSS (Recommended) and Grounds.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

VSS is Vehicle spedd sensor? the other is Idle Air Control right?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes. Those are what he was referring to.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

So the pin out I have been using is from LT! swap site that has all the ECU pins highlighted n in bold to remove n not touch. so I feel good about puuling the pins out n removing those wires, but what wires go into the fuse Block? Maybe I missed it on the site if its there...plus I didnt see the details on what wires I splice together n solder if I am supposed to do that.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Launching!

i admire your ambition..but F--- all that....my megasquirt harness has only 12 wires going into the engine bay

Originally Posted by Capown
Hey bro I def. feel ya on the harness. I've contacted Bill a few times on PM's and once on phone. Right now I just can't justify sending it off and paying the cash(that I really don't have) I completely tore my harness down and didn't keep the stock shape at all. I have the wires about 90% untangled and plannded on re-routing everything to keep it as hidden as possable. I'll post a pic of where it sits now, wife likes me at home too much so I haven't messed with it in weeks =(

Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Dude but I bet u got more loot than me to do that..... I am trying to do this cause I cant buy a after market harness.

I am curious about the end of the Harness that will power up the motor?
How many wires should I have left over after I pull the extra out n What wires am I going to be bundling up for a 12v source, keyed 12v, pics would be awesome... Please
Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

So I pulled the pins out of the red n blue ecu plugs, been tecing them
back thru the harness to the plugs but there are still wires from the plugs going into the harness.

Also what are these plugs with letters on them?

I also have a white n blue plugs that a few of the wires out of the ecu
plug came to these.

Just need some clarification please
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

i did the same this as capown only i labeled EVERYTHING as i was unplugging and mades notes of everything i cut or pins i removed that didnt make complete sense at the time just to make sure there was not going to be any future confusion. check out my build if you want. i have quite a few pictures of the process of stripping wires and such. but after stripping and plugging everything back in this is what i had

and after rerouted and sorted this is what i have now...

all the wires hanging over the fender are the wires left that have to be wired either to the fuse block, power and ground, or run inside the car to the speedometer or obd port

its scary at first but once you get going its really not so bad.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

So this is where I am at n trying to move forward
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by zukboi2004; 12-30-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: no image n trying to post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Lsx wiring for dumb ass